hot clamp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

infinity said:
I agree with Marc, this is simply a disclaimer to limit the manufacturers' liability. Most guys I know would only use them because of their working live potential.

The missing part of the equation is that how many electricians do you see who continuity check their circuits before they connect them? Not many. So you "hot tap" a shorted circuit with one of these, probably onto a nice fat conductor at 277 volts with a big circuit breaker ahead of it (plenty of available fault current)....voila!...instant fireball. Hey, people should have the freedom to kill themselves. ;)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
peter d said:
The missing part of the equation is that how many electricians do you see who continuity check their circuits before they connect them? Not many. So you "hot tap" a shorted circuit with one of these, probably onto a nice fat conductor at 277 volts with a big circuit breaker ahead of it (plenty of available fault current)....voila!...instant fireball. Hey, people should have the freedom to kill themselves. ;)

I was merely stating the obvious. What someone does in the field is their own business.:rolleyes:

iwire said:
Well then by all means, work hot. :wink:

I am sure that you have read the instructions that come with Klein Pliers and other brands.;)
Nobody uses the linemans pliers for live work, especially after reading the instructions.

Actually it is sort of amazing how us Humans are...
Cigarettes and pliers tell us how we can die if we use them in certain ways, and yet...we use them just that way.:cool:

peter d

infinity said:
What someone does in the field is their own business.:rolleyes:

Of course, people are going to do what they want to matter what....but maybe in the process we can educate some of the new guys coming up in the trade that live work is extremely hazardous.

I do not really like the Ilsco Eaters either...not enough of a challenge for my talent. I much prefer to use these when tapping into live power, especially 277v...

clampTaponSEconductor.jpg

No tape necessary, at least that is what it says in the instructions

JohnJ0906

mdshunk said:
Looks like someone used a saddle valve to steal power. That's one for the record books.

A good illustration on why plumbers should not do electrical work. :wink:

Besides, everyone knows those things leak..... :D

peter d

mdshunk said:
Hopefully nobody will open that valve or all the electrons will come flowing out.

Not a big deal, as they sell a special electron holding bucket (only $5.99 at your local home center) to catch all the stray electrons.

quogueelectric

I have used many of these under the direction of my boss and never had any callbacks. It is engineered to do just what it says. I was probably more anal installing them because I didnt have a lot of faith in them Which may have contributed to thier success. And fyi The ones I was using I do believe the clamping bolt is insulated from the conductor clamps but please check your own before doing something stupid. I have mostly switched to polaris for the last 15 years or better. much better product.

When I was at the jobsite inspecting this...
clampTaponSEconductor.jpg

The same guy had just got back from the big box store with this...

overloaded-car-3000lbs.jpg

Sorry about the dillusional comments tonight, I have been recoving from the flu and the high fevers have reduced my brain cells to an historic low level...just about brain dead. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

zappy

good lookin out "G"

good lookin out "G"

i love those pics!i think this is the most replies i've got so far.i feel all warm and fuzzy.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.