Hot Tub Bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warren Lancaster

I am extremely glad I found this web site. It is the only place that I have found that explains the bonding / grounding codes in a way I understood them. However, I still have a dilemma. I am installing a hot tub on a pre-existing patio slab. Power requirement 240 50 amp service that is split into a 20 amp and 30 amp GFI breaker in a sub panel. The hot tub installers says I don?t need to bond the cement slab the hot tube will sit on. Knowing what I know now, I have decided that my safety is number one and bonding the slab is the only way to go. Is this right. My dilemma is how to do this without spending thousands of dollars replacing the patio. Mike You mentioned an alternative method in your video by running an 8 awg wire 18-24 inches on the parameter of a pool. Then running 4 equal parts to the pool metal frame. A hot tub has no metal frame that I know of. It does have components that could and I'm sure are bonded together. I wanted to pass this by you and see what you thought. I am visioning the possibility of cutting with a cement saw a shallow grove 18-24 inches away from the edge of the hot tub cabinet and around the parameter of the hot tub. Lay the 8 awg wire in the grove and connect it to the central bonding location of the hot tub. I was wondering if this would be enough to protect from the stray voltage you mentioned in the video.

By the way, I am currently checking the rest of the house for bonding issue. I have a shower with a recessed light fixture in the celling within the shower. It was there when I bought the house. I have always wondered about it. Something says the two don?t mix. How do I test this for GFI and or bonding without sticking my finger in it.

Thank you,
PS: I hope it is ok to pass along the YouTube video of the bonding of pools to these hot tub so call technicians.

Thank you
Warren new member.

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

kwired

Electron manager
Read 680.42(B) of 2014 NEC, you likely do not have to bond the perimeter of most spas unless they are a spa constructed on site.

2011 NEC initially made us bond perimeter of such installs then they came out with a TIA that has mostly same wording as published in 2014.

Can lights in showers do not need to be on GFCI - some could have instructions requiring GFCI but I haven't seen any myself - but it also doesn't hurt anything if they are on GFCI's.

Status
Not open for further replies.