Hot Tub, Concrete Slab

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Looked at a hot tub last night. Placed on a slab where a previous hot tub was. From looks of the old wiring, I'm sure it was not a permitted job. I also see no evidence of grounding/bonding to the slab.

I am calling Inspections to see what they would require. I picture having to chisel out a cavity to reach the grid wire and bond to it. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have not had that situation but since NC is not on the 2011 yet the TIA is not in effect and thus you are required to have a epb. I suspect the inspector may let you go but I would not want the liability.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have not had that situation but since NC is not on the 2011 yet the TIA is not in effect and thus you are required to have a epb. I suspect the inspector may let you go but I would not want the liability.

How did it change in 2011 ?

jmellc

Occupation
Thanks Dennis. I just spoke to someone at Orange Inspections. He told me to go to an outer edge and see if I can find wire or bar in the slab. If it has metal in it, I can bond to it. If not, we will come up with something else.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks Dennis. I just spoke to someone at Orange Inspections. He told me to go to an outer edge and see if I can find wire or bar in the slab. If it has metal in it, I can bond to it. If not, we will come up with something else.
Orange county guys will usually work with you on something like that-- good guys there.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician

How about trying a metal detector?

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Can you dig out from underneath it just a little? I have found that if there is steel in the pad, it is easiest to find by feeling the underside of the pad. Concrete guys don't pull the wire to the center too often, and it will be on the bottom.(usually in a corner)

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
Concrete guys don't pull the wire to the center too often, and it will be on the bottom.(usually in a corner)
Man you sure are right about that, and I wonder if it reinforces slab in places where its on the bottom? Slabs seem easier to break where wire's not pulled up into pour?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'd say nice guys would look at the cryptic language this section has had, look at the TIA for the 2011, and dismiss the EBG entirely until further notice. :angel:
I agree but you know as well as I that not everyone is a nice guy. I also don't understand why the TIA cannot be applicable to the 2008 NEC.

jmellc

Occupation
It's been a few years since I did a hot tub and I have not dealt 1st hand with EBG either. I'd sure rather go above & beyond than do a lot of work that doesn't pass.

Fortunately, the outer edge is only about 4 or 5 feet at most, near a bed of shrubbery. I can dig under a bit and check the bottom, as suggested. If needed, I can chip out a portion and patch it back, chipping from side and leaving top intact, hopefully.

stickboy1375

Looked at a hot tub last night. Placed on a slab where a previous hot tub was. From looks of the old wiring, I'm sure it was not a permitted job. I also see no evidence of grounding/bonding to the slab.

I am calling Inspections to see what they would require. I picture having to chisel out a cavity to reach the grid wire and bond to it. Has anyone else had a similar situation?

Some states will allow 36" of rubber mats around the tub perimeter. Least expensive choice IMO....

Status
Not open for further replies.