Hot Tub Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ote

Hey guys, I'm confused about code requirements for Hot Tubs and equipotential bonding grid. The more I read 680.26 the more confused I get. Am I right to think that a packaged hot tub if installed in direct contact with the ground , or on pavers, or on concrete requires a copper grid around the perimeter of the tub extending 3ft out and the tub pump motor bonded to it and any Metallic conduit within 5 ft bonded to it? One part I read of a copper bonding grid #8 12" netting another part I read as Quantity 1 #8 copper ring around tub. If the grid is correct, the code requires all cross joints to be connected. I called several supply houses today for some type of preformed grid and they didn't know what I was talking about and never heard of equipotential bonding????. I tried to call the local inspector and he was on vacation til Monday and no one else could give me an answer. Am I right to think that if the hot tub is on a wood platform and extends 3 ft around the tub that no bonding is required? This hot tub I'm talking about is the everyday run of the mill type that they sell at these hot tub stores with a fiberglass shell- 50a 240v evidently this is new for the 2008 code, never done this before. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! I tried to look back on several posts but didn't find anything- Gary

RESI

Ote- I ran into the exact same issue. I found a company that manufactures a pool bonding grid that comes in a 100 foot by 3 foot roll. The grid is on 1 foot squares and it is welded at each crossing point. I had to place it on the ground, under the pavers and bond it to the bonding connector that comes with the hot tub, usually inside the control box. I will get the name and possibly the part number for you. It costs about $500.00 per roll.

hotwire1955

Hey guys, I'm confused about code requirements for Hot Tubs and equipotential bonding grid. The more I read 680.26 the more confused I get. Am I right to think that a packaged hot tub if installed in direct contact with the ground , or on pavers, or on concrete requires a copper grid around the perimeter of the tub extending 3ft out and the tub pump motor bonded to it and any Metallic conduit within 5 ft bonded to it? One part I read of a copper bonding grid #8 12" netting another part I read as Quantity 1 #8 copper ring around tub. If the grid is correct, the code requires all cross joints to be connected. I called several supply houses today for some type of preformed grid and they didn't know what I was talking about and never heard of equipotential bonding????. I tried to call the local inspector and he was on vacation til Monday and no one else could give me an answer. Am I right to think that if the hot tub is on a wood platform and extends 3 ft around the tub that no bonding is required? This hot tub I'm talking about is the everyday run of the mill type that they sell at these hot tub stores with a fiberglass shell- 50a 240v evidently this is new for the 2008 code, never done this before. Any help would be appreciated!!!!! I tried to look back on several posts but didn't find anything- Gary

Install a #8 solid bare copper conductor around the tub 18 to 24 " from inside wall around tub 4 to 6 inched below sub grade connect it to the bonding lug for the tub,you need to install a perimeter bond for paved or unpaved surfaces including wood. You also need a disconnect within sight of the tub

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with hotwire. You do not need a grid but you do need to bond. With most cases you can use the altenate means. 680.26(B)(2)(b)

Status
Not open for further replies.