Hot tub disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFR

I was wondering since the hot tub in question was in a backyard of a single family home with a fenced in yard , and protected by a GFCI breaker , I would only have to wire it directly to hot tub equipment assembly , is that correct ?art.680.41 , is there anything else that has to be done that an inspector would be looking for as in bonding .

bradleyelectric

Re: Hot tub disconnect

If that is what the directions say. That would be how it is listed. For the most part, yes, they are made to be hard wired. It may be cord and plug attached though as 680.42a2. I run PVC from a junction where the conductors leave the house to the unit. They are factory bonded. You should be able to see where the bonds attach on an equipment ground style bar in the control panel.

PFR

being my 1st tub , I wasn't sure without seeing the unit in person , just going by the brochure , clear as mud, Lol!!Thanks for the reply , I appreciate it !! :D

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I believe you have to have a disconnect means within 50' or within sight of the tub. As a rule I generally run a 50 amp line (if that's what your unit calls for) to a GFI protected disconnect and insulated #6 THHN conductors with a #8 ground wire in flex PVC from the disconnect out to the tub wiring compartment.

My reasoning is as follows :
a) If you stop and think about it, if you're in the tub and the GFI breaker you installed trips for some reason, you'll have to get out of the tub, go into your house soaking wet and reset the breaker as opposed to resetting at the local disconnect. B) If the breaker had a legitimate reason for tripping you won't be in sight of the tub when you reset. And C) if there is someone in the tub (say a child) and there is an emergency situation you should have a local disconnect means to shut the tub down. There was a case several years ago where a young girl somehow got her hair caught in an intake port of a hot tub and drowned.

active1

We allways install a tub disco. Goldstar had some good reasons. I remember some kind of test where several people could not pull a ball away from an intake. Maybe the intake was missing a cover. But the point is it could be a childs head stuck under water.

Some locals require it also. I don't remember but it could be the way some tub manufactures says to hook up their unit.

I can buy the outside disco with the GFI breaker cheaper than just the breaker. Don't figure. Seems easier that way because I don't have to track down a GFI breaker to fit the customers panel. Just need a 2 pole which is easier to find.

Tom

jimwalker

"There was a case several years ago where a young girl somehow got her hair caught in an intake port of a hot tub and drowned. "
Yes there was,she was my niece.
I highly suggest a disconnect for safety.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Jim,

I'm so sorry to hear that but sometimes things we discuss here hit close to home. Please accept my deepest sympathy for your loss. The NEC codes are written for good reasons and one of them is to insure that the installations we perform will provide the most logical and utmost safety to the general public in accordance with the latest safety standards (even though it is not written exactly that way in text).

Phil,
Gold Star Electric

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by goldstar:
I believe you have to have a disconnect means within 50' or within sight of the tub.
I'm sorry, I believe that I missed in my original reply the fact that any piece of equipment needs a disconnecting means with in site and within 50'. You can also buy the hot tub disconnect with an additional breaker for a GFI outlet for the radio that we would be listening to while sitting there.

powerguy

Should a hot tub have a seperate ground rod installed? I have never done any residential work but I did look a my neighbors "diys" instal and he had sunk 2 rods in the ground and told me that the inspector had given it the ok. what gives?

bphgravity

There is really nothing in the code that prevents you from "re-grounding" equipment, however it is a complete waste of time and effort.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Should a hot tub have a separate ground rod installed?
"Should" - Absolutely not.
"Does it serve a purpose and make the tub more bonded" - absolutely not.
"If the inspector says to" - Ask him to cite the code.
"If you want to" - That's up to you if you like throwing away $$$ however, next time you feel an urge you can mail me as many $$$ as you wish to.

Just a point of interest - ground rods are "supplemental" components to a grounding system. The only component of a grounding system that requires a "supplemental" grounding means is the cold water main. Others such as re-bar do not.

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by powerguy:
my neighbors "diys" instal and he had sunk 2 rods in the ground and told me that the inspector had given it the ok.
that does not mean the inspector required it. It just means the inspector possibly shrugged his shoulders and said "OK".

Status
Not open for further replies.