hot tub epuipotential bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

iand74

does the #8 used for equipotential bonding need to be connected to a ground rod on a hot tub installation?

or does one end terminate at the motor and the other end just get buried?

The T.I.A. does not apply in this case.

Thanks

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
does the #8 used for equipotential bonding need to be connected to a ground rod on a hot tub installation?

Thanks

No ground rod. Just circle the tub and join the ends together with approved means and attach a jumper from the loop to the lug on the motor and any other objects that require bonding.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If the TIA does not apply and it's an outdoor install, you follow 680.26.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

Thanks

It gets connected to the motor unless the motor is double insulated then you need to connect to the equipment grounding conductor. Other end is just buried in the ground

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
It gets connected to the motor unless the motor is double insulated then you need to connect to the equipment grounding conductor. Other end is just buried in the ground

Just to be clear, as I said earlier and Augie stated the code #, if it's outside the perimeter has to be circled and then tied to the motor lug.

Then if, as you stated, the motor is double insulated, you tie it to the EGC and leave a tail.
That's in case a motor is replaced with one that has a lug. You would then connect the tail to that.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just to be clear, as I said earlier and Augie stated the code #, if it's outside the perimeter has to be circled and then tied to the motor lug.

Then if, as you stated, the motor is double insulated, you tie it to the EGC and leave a tail.
That's in case a motor is replaced with one that has a lug. You would then connect the tail to that.

That is correct

Status
Not open for further replies.