hot tub located near a swimming pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

highvolts582

I am going to be wiring a hot tub that may be located near a pool 5 feet away or so.... Maybe. I believe the tub needs to be bonded to the pool. Would that connection need to be made at the nearest point to the pool wall or could I run it back through the trench where hot tub feeders come from and bond the pool and tub together where it emerges from the ground near the Pump bond terminal or should it be connected to pool wall/grid near tub. could the tub be a diffrent potential than pool if done in this manner?

Thanks
Michael McFeeley

frank everingham

frank everingham

2008 nec. 680.10. no underground wiring within 5' of pool, unless that wiring is part of our pool
680.26 b7 ex 2. fixed metal parts more than 5' from the pool is not required to be bonded.

highvolts582

Yes equipotential bond

Yes equipotential bond

Are you talking about the equipotential bond? That can be tied in anywhere accessible to you.

Thats the one dennis all anywhere accessible? Thats good to know my customer blind sided me with the question and whoever told him said the the tubs equipotential bond should be bonded with the pools equipotential bond if within 5 feet of pool wall. Buried Conductors feeding the tub would be 5 feet away from the pool. I would assume(although I never assume.) the equipotential bonding ring I install for the hot tub does not count as a conductor not associated with the pool and could be installed more near the pool wall and the feeders should be the required distance away.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There is perimeter bonding that you must have around the pool and the tub. The tub could have a ring of #8 copper 2'-3' from the inside wall of the tub and must be 4"-6" below subgrade. This ring gets tied to the spa motor and should be bonded to the pool perimeter bonding or the epb. If the spa is inground and has metal reinforcing then you need to other bonding. Read 680.26 slowly

highvolts582

There is perimeter bonding that you must have around the pool and the tub. The tub could have a ring of #8 copper 2'-3' from the inside wall of the tub and must be 4"-6" below subgrade. This ring gets tied to the spa motor and should be bonded to the pool perimeter bonding or the epb. If the spa is inground and has metal reinforcing then you need to other bonding. Read 680.26 slowly

I much figured connect an insulated or uninsulated solid #8 to my uninsulated #8 equipotential bonding ring with a bug to the equipotential bonding ring and pool bond that comes from pool near where it connects to pool motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.