Hot tub sub panel supplying 120 v circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I have a 48 amp 240 volt hot tub to wire. (Nameplate says 40/48 amps) If I install a 60 amp sub panel, what about installing a 20 amp, 120v breaker for an outlet from that same panel? (For a 120v outlet). Thank you?

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
Should not be a problem if the panel is installed in accordance with requirements applicable to any other sub panel.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have a 48 amp 240 volt hot tub to wire. (Nameplate says 40/48 amps) If I install a 60 amp sub panel, what about installing a 20 amp, 120v breaker for an outlet from that same panel? (For a 120v outlet). Thank you?

Be careful with the nameplate ratings on the tubs. Some haven't factored in the 125% for the motor. So if they say 40A and haven't figured in the 125% then you really need a 50A circuit. The 48A would actually need a 60A.

40 x 125% = 50
48 x 125% = 60

So you need to see the specs on the tub to see what they say. It all depends on the number of pumps & heaters and whether they run at the same time.

JFletcher

wag, but a nameplate of 40/48A is depending on how the dip switches on the board are set and if it is a 50 or 60A spa. Basically amounts to what pumps can be run at x speed with or without the heater or jet/air pump on. I dont see a problem running a 120V receptacle from a 15 or 20A breaker from a 60A spa subpanel provided it's a 4 wire feed. Usually there's a receptacle close enough to the spa and the disco is a 50A/60A GFCI breaker.

Keep in mind that you will need #4 Cu or equivalent Al for a 60A panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.