Hot Tub Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi-

I just left a residence that needs wiring for a hot tub. I have read the wire for a hot tub needs to be copper. I have also read that the wire for a hot tub can be aluminum, however, that is only acceptable on the line side of the disconnect. The wire for the load side of the disconnect must be copper. Can anyone accurately describe the NEC requirements for a hot tub when dealing with either aluminum or copper wire?

Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
As far as type of wire, the NEC only requires the wiring be sized correctly. The hot tub manufacture will often require Cu conductors in their instructions so 110.3(B) kicks in, but those instructions only cover the wire that connects to the hot tub. That is why it's ok to use Al on the line side of the disconnect.

Electrically it makes no difference, electrons are not smart enough to know how they get to the hot tub.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I might add that I have never seen a tub wired with aluminum. Since most tubs take a number 6 awg it isn't worth it for me to use #4 al.

kwired

Electron manager
I might add that I have never seen a tub wired with aluminum. Since most tubs take a number 6 awg it isn't worth it for me to use #4 al.
And they usually require 6 AWG where NEC would otherwise allow 8AWG, then they barely leave you enough room to land them on top of it.:roll:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
And they usually require 6 AWG where NEC would otherwise allow 8AWG, then they barely leave you enough room to land them on top of it.:roll:

And the connection lug is not going to take anything larger than they require.

JFletcher

Hot tub mfg will most likely require copper conductors in their panel, so you'll need copper from the disco to the tub. Also note that UF is not a listed wiring method in 680, and while there is an exception for single family dwellings to have an uninsulated grounding wire (680.21(A)(4)) for inside hot tubs, if it's outside you'll probably want LFNC and individual conductors. You also have to follow mfg specs re: the circuit breaker and wiring; dont assume a 50A GFCI and #8 will cut it.

Your best bet would be to get a copy of the installation instructions. ActionDave pointed out 110.3(B); also, not following the instructions most likely voids the warranty on the tub

jusme123

Occupation
JW
Hi-

I just left a residence that needs wiring for a hot tub. I have read the wire for a hot tub needs to be copper. I have also read that the wire for a hot tub can be aluminum, however, that is only acceptable on the line side of the disconnect. The wire for the load side of the disconnect must be copper. Can anyone accurately describe the NEC requirements for a hot tub when dealing with either aluminum or copper wire?

Thanks

http://www.spadepot.com/spacyclopedia/wiring-hot-tub-spa.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.