Hot tub wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Do hot tubs strictly require 240 volt usually in a residence? ...or do they require the common (white) for lights of 120 volt power?

As Sparky said it varies. Many need a neutral but I have seen some that don't. Also be careful as many units also call for a full size egc.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As Sparky said it varies. Many need a neutral but I have seen some that don't. Also be careful as many units also call for a full size egc.

I think that since you never know, it's safest to just run the Neutral circuit and not worry about it. If it doesn't need it, no harm no foul (other than a 25% increase in the conductor cost). If it turns out it did and you didn't run it, big cost adder.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Often there is a GFCI breaker used at the local diconnect. If that is the case it needs the neutral (line-side) to operate properly.

stew

2 pole gfcis in my opinion do not require a neutral if connected to a strictly 2 pole load. If there is a neutral that is used then yes the neutral is required. If no and it is a 240 2 pole hot tub the gfci sees differential current and does not need the neutral.The gfci compares the current in both legs which should be exactly the same or below 5 ma differential.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
2 pole gfcis in my opinion do not require a neutral if connected to a strictly 2 pole load. If there is a neutral that is used then yes the neutral is required. If no and it is a 240 2 pole hot tub the gfci sees differential current and does not need the neutral.The gfci compares the current in both legs which should be exactly the same or below 5 ma differential.

note, I said "line side",,, The GFCI will perform without a neutral connected to the load side, but it need the "pigtail" connected to the line neutral.
The hot tub may not need the neutral, but if the GFCI is at the tub the neutral would need to be run to that breaker.

bk019

Just did one last weekend didnt require a neautral, but did have lights. In the control box there was a small xfmr fed off one side of the 240 to feed the lights.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I think Gus is saying if you use those GFCI disco from Home Depot that have the GFCI in them then you need a neutral to the disconnect. The alternative is to install the GFCI at the main panel and then you may not need a neutral.

Status
Not open for further replies.