Hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

JdoubleU

I have a Job this weekend to extent a branch circuit to a Hot tub. I know that I need a 50 GfCI breaker, Proper Wire size, A disconnect more that 5 feet away but within sight. Is there thing else that I should be thinking about.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Jakewhis said:
I have a Job this weekend to extent a branch circuit to a Hot tub. I know that I need a 50 GfCI breaker, Proper Wire size, A disconnect more that 5 feet away but within sight. Is there thing else that I should be thinking about.

There is a lot to think about. Where is the tub being installed? Do you need equipotential bonding. Pipe where necessary, etc, etc.

Tell us more of the install

JdoubleU

Dennis Alwon said:
There is a lot to think about. Where is the tub being installed? Do you need equipotential bonding. Pipe where necessary, etc, etc.

Tell us more of the install
I have not seen the Job yet, but what I was told is that it is a residential home and the Tub is setting on a deck.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Sounds like your well prepared. Only thing I can add is, you'll need to run conduit under the deck if you're not using UF or SE cable and check to make sure the hot tub has all the metal componants bonded by #8 CU. 98% of manufacturers do the bonding but it's always good to check.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
benmin said:
Sounds like your well prepared. Only thing I can add is, you'll need to run conduit under the deck if you're not using UF or SE cable and check to make sure the hot tub has all the metal componants bonded by #8 CU. 98% of manufacturers do the bonding but it's always good to check.

Ummm. Don't think so. Once you leave the house and get outside UF and se are not approved wiring methods.

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
Dennis Alwon said:
Ummm. Don't think so. Once you leave the house and get outside UF and se are not approved wiring methods.

Well I just might learn something. Pls explain why I can not run SE or UF under a deck.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
benmin said:
Well I just might learn something. Pls explain why I can not run SE or UF under a deck.

Check this out and then read art. 680.25(A)

680.42 Outdoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.
(A) Flexible Connections. Listed packaged spa or hot tub equipment assemblies or self-contained spas or hot tubs utilizing a factory-installed or assembled control panel or panelboard shall be permitted to use flexible connections as covered in 680.42(A)(1) and (A)(2).
(1) Flexible Conduit. Liquidtight flexible metal conduit or liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit shall be permitted in lengths of not more than 1.8 m (6 ft).
(2) Cord-and-Plug Connections. Cord-and-plug connections with a cord not longer than 4.6 m (15 ft) shall be permitted where protected by a ground-fault circuit interrupter.

680.25 Feeders.
These provisions shall apply to any feeder on the supply side of panelboards supplying branch circuits for pool equipment covered in Part II of this article and on the load side of the service equipment or the source of a separately derived system.
(A) Wiring Methods. Feeders shall be installed in rigid metal conduit, intermediate metal conduit, liquidtight flexible nonmetallic conduit, rigid polyvinyl chloride conduit, or reinforced thermosetting resin conduit. Electrical metallic tubing shall be permitted where installed on or within a building, and electrical nonmetallic tubing shall be permitted where installed within a building. Aluminum conduits shall not be permitted in the pool area where subject to corrosion.
Exception: An existing feeder between an existing remote panelboard and service equipment shall be permitted to run in flexible metal conduit or an approved cable assembly that includes an equipment grounding conductor within its outer sheath. The equipment grounding conductor shall comply with 250.24(A)(5).

440doublebuck

I did a job like that last weekend. There's a big difference between where the H.O. Wants the tub and where the code allows it to be. Receps switches lights fans etc.

mpd

also look at 680.42 & 680.42 (A)

keep in mind about any existing light fixtures or receptacles that do not comply or my need GFCI protection,

680.22 (A) (3)

is the existing electrical panel & service compliant for the existing load plus the new load of the hot tub

just a couple things to think about

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
jwelectric said:
Why not? .

(1) Conductive Pool Shells. Bonding to conductive pool shells shall be provided as specified in 680.26(B)(1)(a) or (B)(1)(b). Poured concrete, pneumatically applied or sprayed concrete, and concrete block with painted or plastered coatings shall all be considered conductive materials due to water permeability and porosity. Vinyl liners and fiberglass composite shells shall be considered to be nonconductive materials.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I was thinking the bonding grid as explained above. I just don't see that as necessary on a deck.

jwelectric

Necessary or not the code requires that a hot tub installed outside conform with the requirements of Part II
680.42 Outdoor Installations.
A spa or hot tub installed outdoors shall comply with the provisions of Parts I and II of this article, except as permitted in 680.42(A) and (B), that would otherwise apply to pools installed outdoors.

680.26 is in Part II therefore part of the installation of a hot tub installed outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.