Hot Tubs

Status
Not open for further replies.

GG

I have looked through several books displaying the requirements for connecting a residential hot tub and a couple questions have come to mind. 1) One book states that a disconnect is required but must be at least 5' away from the edge of the hot tub. I cant find this requirement anywhere in the NEC. 2) 680.42(A)(1) states that LFNMC shall not exceed lengths of 6'. If I have to install the required disco. 5' from the hot tub then what good is a 6' piece of LFNMC going to do for me? 3) I read where 680.44(A) states that if the hot tub has integral GFCI protection then no additional GFCI protection is required. I still need a disconnect within site and at least 5' away from the hot tub don't I? I cant find this requirement anywhere in the NEC.
Thanks.

magoo66

Re: Hot Tubs

Would the last sentence of 680.41 eliminate the need for a disconnect within sight on a residential hot tub? I would at least put a lockout on the breaker.

GG

Re: Hot Tubs

Thanks Bryan. I just highlighted those 2 sections in my NEC. Now what stumps me is that if I want to use LFNMC from the disco. 5' away it will take somewhere around 10-12' by the time I go down the wall and over 5' to hit the spa. Will I have to run EMT or PVC to limit my length of LFNMC to 6' per 680.42(A)(1)? Anyone know why its important to not run more than 6' of LFNMC? The co. I use to work for use to run 20 + feet of the stuff all around the hot tub and never failed an inspection, but I dont want to give the inspector a reason to turn me down by siting 680.42(A)(1). Any thoughts?

[ July 22, 2005, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: GG ]

Status
Not open for further replies.