Hot water element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Or replace the broken pipe in the tank.

I've been following this discussion for several days now (at least two days) without saying anything but goodness. Every possibility has now been explored except for popping open the tank to look for broken pipes. Unless you installed the tank and are absolutely sure no one has replaced it in the intervening time, you have no clue what is inside the tank. Scroedinger'd Paradox: There are and are not pipes and a mixing valve in there.

I have never seen a water heater that you can open up.

J

janagyjr

Well, replacement it is if all electrical parts are verified to work.

I know they don't open up, but I've been lurking (and subscribing) to threads to learn and all I see is bickering. Lost my I.Q. in a fit of frustration, my apologies.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, replacement it is if all electrical parts are verified to work.

I know they don't open up, but I've been lurking (and subscribing) to threads to learn and all I see is bickering. Lost my I.Q. in a fit of frustration, my apologies.

If drop tube for incoming water is broken they are replaceable, you must remove incoming water supply line to do so.

If the incoming lines were sweat fittings and too much heat was applied that can destroy the incoming drop tube as they are usually nonmetallic piping of some kind.

You can remove an element and inspect interior through the hole, if you have See Snake or similar device you can inspect pretty much anything in the tank.

Last edited:

powerplay

It could be as simple as the water consumption is too great for the water heater to render it more than warm.
Not an electrical problem at all.

I once installed an electric water heater for a dairy that used the hot water to clean the equipment.
AFAIR it was 60 amps per phase from a UK 240/415 volt supply, or about TEN times the capacity of yours.

If warmed drinking water is supplied to the cows, this should be diluted with cold automaticly, but cows drink vast amounts of water and it is still a significant hot water demand.
If 100 cows each drink five gallons, each gallon consisting of 25% hot and 75% cold ?

I don't know how much water is being drawn, but it does sound like it draws more than the elements can heat up and/or the water intake tube is broken. Thirsty cows must require MOOO-RE POWER for water!! ; P

cadpoint

The element is in the muck, drain tank off at least half, turn off then turn back on supply valve when draining. Draining might take more than once...

Rinse till running clear, use a screen drain or a towel.

Refill, retest - test draw on elements!

kwired

Electron manager
The element is in the muck, drain tank off at least half, turn off then turn back on supply valve when draining. Draining might take more than once...

Rinse till running clear, use a screen drain or a towel.

Refill, retest - test draw on elements!

4500 watts is a lot of heat to not have any make it to the water or burn out the element. True if sediment is above element it will not heat very well but will also overheat the element if heat can not get away from the element.

Article 90.1

+1 for the dip tube. I had this problem at my house. Two symptoms to look for: 1. drain off some water from the bottom of the tank and if you see small pieces of plastic (looks like crushed coral) than your dip tube has disintegrated. 2. check aerators at sinks and look for the same material.

If this is a new heater the dip tube could either be broken, or melted as someone else has alluded to.

You can also remove the cold water connection to pull the tube out of the tank, but other than my home I'd send this job to one of my best plumber colleagues who in return sends me his electrical work.

mtfallsmikey

Musings from the house plumber..

Musings from the house plumber..

+1 for the dip tube. I had this problem at my house. Two symptoms to look for: 1. drain off some water from the bottom of the tank and if you see small pieces of plastic (looks like crushed coral) than your dip tube has disintegrated. 2. check aerators at sinks and look for the same material.

If this is a new heater the dip tube could either be broken, or melted as someone else has alluded to.

You can also remove the cold water connection to pull the tube out of the tank, but other than my home I'd send this job to one of my best plumber colleagues who in return sends me his electrical work.

You must be talking about me...

Has to be either the dip tube, or tempering valve (if used). If bottom element is buried in muck/calcium, top element heats first (standard 2-element setup), so some hot water will be there, unless heater is set up for simultaneous operation of both elements.
Not a sermon, just a thought..

Status
Not open for further replies.