hot water heater disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
See 422 part III, and find the applicable subsection for your "water heater".

Pretty much all "water heaters" can have the branch circuit device as the disconnecting means. If it is over 300 VA and not within sight, the branch circuit device must have lockable means installed that complies with 110.25.

That information taken from 2014 NEC.

JFletcher

Pretty much all "water heaters" can have the branch circuit device as the disconnecting means. If it is over 300 VA and not within sight, the branch circuit device must have lockable means installed that complies with 110.25.

Pretty much the same in the 2008 NEC, which I believe PA is still using.

peter d

An $8 air conditioner disconnect is suitable for this purpose. Or if you like spending time and money unnecessarily, you can use a 30 amp double pole toggle switch ($$$) with a raised cover.

MNSparky

Occupation
Electrical Contractor - 2023 NEC
Got you both beat. Home Depot had the GE version of the Midwest disconnect on sale this summer for $4.74. I bought 150 of them and they gave me an additional 10% off. I have about 80 of them left. They'll be gone by July. Hopefully they do that sale again in the summer!

i usually don't use a disconnect on water heaters. I just throw a breaker lock on, way quicker.

journeyman0217

thanks kwired for the article references :thumbsup:

kwired

Electron manager
The company I work for always installs a 3 wire
dryer cord and plug

I fail to see how that complies with 400.7, maybe you can plead (A)(6) or (8) allows it in some rare instance, but that is pushing it on the average water heater install.

As mentioned a cheap AC disconnect and short piece of flex probably cost less anyway.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What section(s) would that violate?

I've never seen a cord and plug water heater, but I always figured it was due to hardwiring, even with a disco, being less expensive.

You can't add a cord to something that does not come with one from the factory and you can't get rid of a cord when it does a la UL it think. Also, you can't use a cord in place of permanent wiring methods, 400.8.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I fail to see how that complies with 400.7...

400.7(A)(6) Connection of utilization equipment to facilitate frequent interchange.

I've had three water heaters in 25 years. That seems very frequent based on the time and effort to replace them. :roll:

jk

Status
Not open for further replies.