hot water heater disconnect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You can't add a cord to something that does not come with one from the factory and you can't get rid of a cord when it does a la UL it think. Also, you can't use a cord in place of permanent wiring methods, 400.8.

I routinely add a cord and plug to garbage disposals and dishwashers and install a duplex receptacle under the sink to plug them both in (two circuits). Seems a lot better than the old romex whip out of the wall method. I think 400.7(A)(8) may apply. Never had an inspector say no. Thoughts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Some disposals and dishwashers are designed to be wired either way and usually have a manufacturers part number for cord sets.
Inspectors usually do not check the part number on the cord. :)
If the instructions specify fixed wiring only on some models the inspector may not be aware of that or just may not care.
Make sure you provide proper strain relief even if it is not built in.

mobile

kwired

Electron manager
Some disposals and dishwashers are designed to be wired either way and usually have a manufacturers part number for cord sets.
Inspectors usually do not check the part number on the cord. :)
If the instructions specify fixed wiring only on some models the inspector may not be aware of that or just may not care.
Make sure you provide proper strain relief even if it is not built in.

mobile
+1

Several years ago NEC used to specify what type of cord could be used for dishwashers and disposers. Now I think you do have to refer to the appliance instructions - though most probably are intended to be either cord and plug connected or hard wired. Most inspectors probably know they are likely to be acceptable on a cord and plug, may not be aware a specific cord may need to be used though. If they do know off top of their head what the specifications for each appliance out there is - they have too much time on their hands:huh:

peter d

For the record, I don't think a cord attached to a water heater is ever going to cause a problem, no more than one attached to a dryer would.

kwired

Electron manager
For the record, I don't think a cord attached to a water heater is ever going to cause a problem, no more than one attached to a dryer would.
Probably not, and I have seen many of them that have been installed that way for years. Some with cords intended for a dryer even.

I still prefer a cheap AC disconnect and short piece of flexible conduit - just looks like it wasn't installed by a handyman or HO.

Status
Not open for further replies.