Hot wire phasing does it matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy Current

I have always phased the hot wires black, red and, blue or brown, orange, and yellow depending on the voltage. One of the guys i started working with doesn't even phase the hots he says it doesn't matter.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Conversely, he is correct if there is only a single nominal voltage on the premises.

If there were only 120/208 on the premise, no transformers, then there is technically no requirement to mark the phases of the conductors.

raider1

Staff member
It is good practice to phase all your conductors.
Easier to troubleshoot and test.
I make all my employees phase everything.
Thanks Rick

I agree that phasing coloring each phase of a system is good practice, but as George pointed out it is not enforcable for building with a single voltage system.

Chris

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
For the record, I do mark my lines or phases. I do have to be careful not to bite my tongue off when an inspector makes a statement like "Good job putting all your blacks on the left." :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
That's a pretty broad question, isn't it? :)

In the case I mentioned, it was a three phase service with panels deriving two of their phases from it in an apartment. We used 3-conductor (plus ground) SE-R to feed the panels, which means there was only a black and a red. I can guarantee you only 33% of the panels at best had the correct phasing, yet for some reason the inspector thought it was a mark of quality to have the black conductor on the left and the red conductor on the right. You see what I mean?

Would it matter enough to you to trace through the gear and determine which blacks and reds should be blue, and so on?

mjc

mjc

mjc

I agree that phasing coloring each phase of a system is good practice, but as George pointed out it is not enforcable for building with a single voltage system.

Chris

I agree with George , been on many wire pulls where the Neutral phasing tape came off the condutor. The guy that phased the conuctors did'nt put a piece of black tape on black phase and we had to ring out the wires to determine which one went where. So the good practice becomes part of the trade tricks to save time and effort.

hurk27

Here we have allot of industrial in our area, so our utility will set up a CW phasing right from the meter, and if I have allot of motor loads I will continue the CW phasing through out the panels so all the motors are the correct rotation right off from the start, this is critical for some loads such as hydraulic pumps, oil pumps, and such as they can be damaged if rotated in the wrong direction, but as far a light commercial and or residential, it gets whats on the truck.

massfd

I am a Black-Red-Blue guy on 208 Y services and feeders for the following reason.

If you have a single phase 120V MC cable what color is your hot, it's Black
If you have a single phase 208V MC cable what color are your hots, Black-Red
A full 208V 3 phase MC cable your hots will be Black-Red-Blue

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm tickled to death when I inspect and don't find white or green phase conductors (TN allows homeowner permits ;))

Dynamite

Branch Circuit Phasing

Branch Circuit Phasing

I have three circuits feeding 277V lighting fixtures. The home run is a 10/4 MC cable with colored conductors (B,O,Y). The MC jumpers from the ceiling j. box to the light fixtures and from fixture to fixture must match the color associated with the phase wire they connect to in the j. box, correct?

hurk27

I have three circuits feeding 277V lighting fixtures. The home run is a 10/4 MC cable with colored conductors (B,O,Y). The MC jumpers from the ceiling j. box to the light fixtures and from fixture to fixture must match the color associated with the phase wire they connect to in the j. box, correct?

About the only thing doing this will accomplish is making sure the loads are balanced across the multi-wire circuit, there are no 3-phase lights that will use more then two conductors?

M_J_C

A NEC addendum I whole-heartedly agree with....

A NEC addendum I whole-heartedly agree with....

I hope this link works, it is a local NEC addendum for a jurisdiction that I compete for work in that requires marking of each feeder conductor, and the required color of the markings. They basically made a set of tables for 215.8 (which doesn't exist, yet).
OK, I checked the link in preveiw mde, it does work but starts you at the begining of the code amendments. The NEC amendments are about halfway down the page.

http://library4.municode.com:80/def...fe12faeb57d60b7758132f0e565a4e&infobase=10323

kwired

Electron manager
I am a Black-Red-Blue guy on 208 Y services and feeders for the following reason.

If you have a single phase 120V MC cable what color is your hot, it's Black
If you have a single phase 208V MC cable what color are your hots, Black-Red
A full 208V 3 phase MC cable your hots will be Black-Red-Blue

so do you also have MC cable with red-white and blue white for 120 volt loads connected to other than A phase or does all your 120 volt non MWBC's go on A phase? Or how about a 208 volt single phase load connected to phase B and C?

They do make tape or paint if you feel a need to mark them.

I myself generally have no need to know what two phases I have at a 208 volt load. At the panel I can tell which 2 phases are used based on where the breaker is mounted in the panel. This is more important to know here as we would like to balance the load across all phases in the panel as much as possible. If it is a three phase load I already know all three phases are there but if rotation does not matter I still could care less which one is which most of the time so why mark it other than requirement because of multiple voltage systems in the facility? The load certainly does not work any different because of conductor colors or markings. You can use green white and gray to supply a motor and as long as you apply the right voltage and ampacity the motor will not know the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.