Hotel Load Calculation adding Mini Fridges

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi there,

I was wondering if a refrigerator or mini fridge need to be added to the general lighting load for a hotel / motel. Also, if the receptacle for the fridge is further than 6ft from a sink will it need to be GFCI protected?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is there a kitchen where you need to include the 2 small appliance branch circuits? If so I would not include the refrigerator. If there is no kitchen per se then you need to add the refrigerators

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there a kitchen where you need to include the 2 small appliance branch circuits? If so I would not include the refrigerator. If there is no kitchen per se then you need to add the refrigerators
No kitchen per se - just the bathroom, then a sink and counter top, then the bedroom area - very basic.

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, other than hvac load, there is general lighting calculated at 1.7 VA/sq ft - and the fridges with what demand factor exactly?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So, other than hvac load, there is general lighting calculated at 1.7 VA/sq ft - and the fridges with what demand factor exactly?

I am not certain. I tend to want to use the residential calc but I don't think this would fall under that scenario. I would use this. A mini fridge doesn't draw that much. How many are being added and how close is the calculation without them?

I also get the feeling this is an add on job.

1704401682649.png

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yes, it’s an add-on job. Old hotel. We are on 2023 code cycle here so Table 220.45 would be used I believe. Just not sure if the receptacle for the mini fridge is part of general lighting.

220.42 states: “Motors rated less than 1/8 hp and connected to a lighting circuit shall be considered general lighting load.”

Need to figure out HP of the mini fridge but manufacturer didn’t know!

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
Dorm refrigerators are around 2A or less. YEARLY electrical use is 5kwh.

The compressors in those things are very small. Even a "normal" full size refrigerator is usually 6a or less.

Think of all the college dorm rooms that have them to keep the beer cold and some dorms are ancient with ancient wiring.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yes, it’s an add-on job. Old hotel. We are on 2023 code cycle here so Table 220.45 would be used I believe. Just not sure if the receptacle for the mini fridge is part of general lighting.

220.42 states: “Motors rated less than 1/8 hp and connected to a lighting circuit shall be considered general lighting load.”

Need to figure out HP of the mini fridge but manufacturer didn’t know!
A lot of small mini fridges are now thermoelectric, meaning there is no compressor. These get used in hotels now because they are super quiet. They don’t work as well, ie they only get down to around 40F and you can’t have a freezer section, but that’s usually fine for what hotels need. So what that means is that the little fan is the only motor, maybe 1/20th HP? It may be DC anyway, so it’s just part of the overall power supply load. That may be why nobody can tell you the HP rating, because there isn’t one.