Hotwater Heater and GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allenwayne

Re: Hotwater Heater and GFCI?

(not sure why it posted) Then on an inshpecton ve vould have to due vat the inshpector vanted us to due.no matta vhat it issss. :D

ryan_618

If we are talking about an on demand water heater (insta-hot) that is cord and plug connected (120 volt, 15 or 20 amp) and it is located in a bathroom, you would have to GFCI protect it.

jwelectric

Originally posted by ryan_618:
If we are talking about an on demand water heater (insta-hot) that is cord and plug connected (120 volt, 15 or 20 amp) and it is located in a bathroom, you would have to GFCI protect it.
You go Ryan
:)

ryan_618

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Originally posted by ryan_618:
You go Ryan
:)
Winner winner chicken dinner! :D

marinesgt0411

Originally posted by jimwalker:
Care to drive over the SKYWAY BRIDGE ?
Last time I drove over the skyway bridge 2 hours latter it was hit with a (little)boat and fell down decided then that I would never cross that bridge again.

so NO I would not care to drive over the SKYWAY BRIDGE.

redfish

whisperinghill, Is there any requirement or standard to connect a hotwater heater to a GFCI Breaker?
I am curious how one would wire up a GFCI 2 pole breaker to a 3wire ( two ungrounded and a grounding) circuit?

peter d

Originally posted by redfish:
I am curious how one would wire up a GFCI 2 pole breaker to a 3wire ( two ungrounded and a grounding) circuit?
Easy. Land the two hots on the two poles, land the neutral onto the neutral terminal, land the neutral pigtail onto the neutral bar, done.

Substitute "grounded" for "neutral", and "ungrounded" for "hot" in above text. :D

[ August 28, 2005, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

redfish

Easy. Land the two hots on the two poles, land the neutral onto the neutral terminal, land the neutral pigtail onto the neutral bar, done.
Am I missing something? I don't run a neutral for a 240V water heater. I run two "hots" and a "grounding" and no neutral "grounded" conductor. If I land my two hot on the two poles and my grounding on the neutral terminal and my neutral pigtail onto the neutral bar, the breaker will not set. :)

peter d

Originally posted by redfish:
Am I missing something? I don't run a neutral for a 240V water heater. I run two "hots" and a "grounding" and no neutral "grounded" conductor. If I land my two hot on the two poles and my grounding on the neutral terminal and my neutral pigtail onto the neutral bar, the breaker will not set. :)
No, you don't land the grounding conductor on the breaker. The "neutral" terminal has nothing connected to it. The breaker will work fine because there is no neutral current to monitor. The GFCI breaker simply compares the current between the two ungrounded conductors. If current in does not equal current out, it trips.

william runkle

The last instant water heater I wired was 240 volts so if I wired it with cord and plug it still wouldn't need g.f.c.i. protection in bathroom. Here is another one the new wiring for a dryer it is Two Pole Four Wire. Should make it under the Energy Star real easy.

redfish

No, you don't land the grounding conductor on the breaker. The "neutral" terminal has nothing connected to it. The breaker will work fine because there is no neutral current to monitor. The GFCI breaker simply compares the current between the two ungrounded conductors. If current in does not equal current out, it trips.
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'll have to try that someday. But on your earlier post you said,</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">
I just thought I'd missed something.
dizzy.gif

peter d

Ahhh....I see the confusion now. Earlier you said "3 wire" which I assumed to be an Edison/multiwire circuit. But in the same sentence you then said "2 ungrounded and ground ing. So I gave my answer based on a multiwire circuit. Yeah, in that case, you connect the grounded conductor to the breaker, with a 240 volt load there's nothing to connect. yeah....that's it....I can't think anymore... :eek:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In case anyone is really following this thread, the two hots from the load would attach the the breaker's two load terminals, of course.

Nothing will attach to the breaker's load neutral terminal, but the breaker's attached neutral wire should land on the neutral bus.

peter d

Originally posted by LarryFine:
In case anyone is really following this thread, the two hots from the load would attach the the breaker's two load terminals, of course.
Yeah, I hope I made that clear in my posts, but now I'm not so sure. Time for bed. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.