House fires

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I wonder if those dish fires are a result of open neutral somewhere making current travel through a poor dish ground.

No. Those dishes are an indication of the people who rent there. They tend will use electric heaters, extension cords and all other matter of electrical violations as well as smoking in bed, etc.

-Hal

Todd0x1

No. Those dishes are an indication of the people who rent there. They tend will use electric heaters, extension cords and all other matter of electrical violations as well as smoking in bed, etc.

-Hal
You are 110% correct, I don't know what the heck I was thinking.....

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Because this is all they know. :LOL:

R.8c10744d71a70ea96b4faedeedf77313

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

-Hal
So you think anyone who has a dish satellite has all the bad habits you mentioned?

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
How many of you have replaced a receptacle because it was burnt, because the handy man that put it in did not tighten the screws !

I've done a few, I think more that were burnt because they were old and had no tension. I think I've seen more loose terminations in the breaker panels. I can think of one handyman special, aluminum NM, into a fuse panel, and two wires under the same screw. One copper and one aluminum. That one got pretty hot

hbiss

Occupation
EC
So you think anyone who has a dish satellite has all the bad habits you mentioned?

No, just multiple dishes. Around here multiple dishes are indicative of overcrowding by usually illegals. It's not unusual to find ten people in an apartment. Each "tenant" pays for their own. The reason for the dishes is because they can receive South American and Mexican sports and shows not available on cable.

Sorry if this fact offends you.

-Hal

Personally, I would take house fire caused by electrical with a grain of salt. After knowing a few of fire inspectors for several years, I've seen that if they can't find a cause, they put down electrical. Even if the cause is electrical, it may not be the fault of the electrician. Extension cords are a high cause of fires, and even a nail in the wall can hit a wire and be classified as an electrical caused fire. Improperly wired appliances (ranges and clothes dryers) are another one chalked up as electrical. These fire inspectors may know a lot about fires, but often not so much about the electrical code.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
How many of you have replaced a receptacle because it was burnt, because the handy man that put it in did not tighten the screws !
I just replaced one for my microwave that is part of a built in oven-microwave. The microwave had failed, and when I tried to unplug the cord it was difficult. As a result of poor contact between the receptacle and the plug, the plug had started to melt and the material had run down into the receptacle acting like glue. This was just poor quality as the plug had been inserted since the unit was built.
Since it is buried and a lot of work to replace, I replaced it with a hospital grade receptacle that has better contract pressure than a standard receptacle.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Personally, I would take house fire caused by electrical with a grain of salt. After knowing a few of fire inspectors for several years, I've seen that if they can't find a cause, they put down electrical. Even if the cause is electrical, it may not be the fault of the electrician. Extension cords are a high cause of fires, and even a nail in the wall can hit a wire and be classified as an electrical caused fire. Improperly wired appliances (ranges and clothes dryers) are another one chalked up as electrical. These fire inspectors may know a lot about fires, but often not so much about the electrical code.
Yes, they can do a pretty good job of identifying the point of origin, but not so much with the exact electrical cause.

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
Unpermitted is not the same as unlicensed.
I have done lots of permitted work even though I am not licensed. I know several license holders that save their customers a few dollars by not getting permits.
Yes I'm aware and the "unpermitted" word choice was intentional. In my jurisdiction like in others, homeowners are allowed to do work in owner-occupied properties. At least the inspection process give the work some assurance that it wasn't screwed up badly. Other than homeowners, unlicensed persons cannot pull a permit. If someone is looking to hire someone and they're not going to pull a permit, that should raise an eyebrow.

Yea permits can be a bit spendy even for small work ($80 here for a simple branch circuit), but I'm surprised a licensed person would take the liability just to save customers a few bucks.