How and where to mount Class 2 power supply per NFPA 70 - enclosure needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randy_m

Occupation
Electrical
I'm looking at a residential cove lighting project using some 24V LED strip lights and the following Class 2 power supply:

Looking at NFPA 70 article 450 and 725, it seems like there are no enclosure or ventilation requirements given that the power supply will be a Class 2 power supply and clearly marked as such. Is this true, and can the power supply be mounted onto any surface without any concerns? I am aware that the input side of the power supply will need to be wired to line voltage inside a junction box.

If my understanding of the NEC is correct, why does the following Class 2 power supply have an enclosure box included?

This is my first LED low voltage project - thanks in advance for any help!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The drivers I usually use look like this:

bd2bb60336a14ae11471cbbc1ccf954402609ff2510265eef9518664b62c8f63.jpeg

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Looking at NFPA 70 article 450 and 725, it seems like there are no enclosure or ventilation requirements given that the power supply will be a Class 2 power supply and clearly marked as such. Is this true, and can the power supply be mounted onto any surface without any concerns? I am aware that the input side of the power supply will need to be wired to line voltage inside a junction box.

Yes.

-Hal

randy_m

Occupation
Electrical
@hbiss @LarryFine Thank you both for the feedback!

I keep hearing about low voltage (12/24V) LED power supply transformers needing to be in an enclosure box, needing to be accessible for maintenance, not being in a concealed location, needing proper ventilation etc. For example, see the comments section in this video:

Am I correct in my understanding that those rules are applicable to Class 1 systems only, and many folks are simply misinformed about this NOT applying to Class 2?

hbiss

Occupation
EC
First off, that video is one that YouTube needs to take down as dangerous.

Am I correct in my understanding that those rules are applicable to Class 1 systems only, and many folks are simply misinformed about this NOT applying to Class 2?

Class 1 is more restrictive in that both input and output must comply with a Chapter 3 wiring method. So yes, generally an enclosure is needed.

For all drivers and power supplies common sense would dictate proper ventilation and access for service or replacement. I think the problem with Class 2 is that any idiot is encouraged to install it (like by that video) and most idiots have no common sense.

-Hal

Here's the brand I usually install: http://gmlighting.net/
What box specifically ? I have preferred Meanwell power supplies as a) I've tested them at work for ripple and b) see previous :)

There's a specific company driver, however, that I want to incorporate- it's 0.1% to 100% dim capable with NO flicker. At least all the traces I've seen and were made for a contract bid. I don't have one in hand though.

But what I need, first of all, is the stupid, bloody code compliant box.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
What box specifically ? I have preferred Meanwell power supplies as a) I've tested them at work for ripple and b) see previous :)

There's a specific company driver, however, that I want to incorporate- it's 0.1% to 100% dim capable with NO flicker. At least all the traces I've seen and were made for a contract bid. I don't have one in hand though.

But what I need, first of all, is the stupid, bloody code compliant box.

What are you talking about? I thought we were answering @randy_m 's question. How about starting your own thread?

-Hal

What are you talking about? I thought we were answering @randy_m 's question. How about starting your own thread?

-Hal

I thought you were providing a box that would meet the requirements/specifications of the item he was looking for. From the catalog, with their coverage, there's lots of items, but I thought perhaps you had one in particular in mind- hence my specific question on which box/item.

I was also relating about dimmer control, but I guess that was off topic.

I already do have an open thread on this particular topic so was very excited to see another one that had a new product listed.

Status
Not open for further replies.