How are you pairing your neutrals?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Legal or not this is what we use
THHN_12str_2500ft_white_w_Blue_Stripe

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
mtnelect, I don't like your proposal. Crossed load side conductors on GFCI's cause trip as soon as you put them into service, something the installer should catch when testing to make sure things work.

Should not be causing service calls later on if it was caught at initial installation testing.

IMO if it were a NEC rule it is more of a "how to" rule than a rule written for safety reasons. NEC could do away with a lot of "how to" rules that IMO don't belong in there to begin with.

I don't have much issue with identifying which ungrounded conductror(s) go with which grounded conductor, but do believe there shouldn't be much limitation if any on how to go about doing so. I
I have grouped them with tape or cable ties, used markings, marker labels, would even use white with colored tracers if I had it available. In places where no inspection was to occur I maybe even marked with say red tape to go with red conductor even though some might say that is possibly confused with an attempt to identify as ungrounded, but IMO it is not. But then I am one of those that thinks marking a white conductor with colored tape (where permitted to be ungrounded) is one of the long time dumbest rules in NEC. If you can't tell a conductor landed on a breaker is ungrounded, regardless what color it is, you don't belong in the panel. Is a rule to protect the ignorant/untrained and many them still have no clue anyway.

I contacted Southwire and their marketing department is looking into it. They seem interested, we shall see.

The problem is, how can you find where the wires are crossed, you would have to go to every junction box to find it, like I had to do every time.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I contacted Southwire and their marketing department is looking into it. They seem interested, we shall see.

The problem is, how can you find where the wires are crossed, you would have to go to every junction box to find it, like I had to do every time.
Just like many other problems an ohm meter along with strategic isolation points can help narrow things down so you don't have to go to every possible point in a system.

If someone uses a conductor with some sort of standardized marking yet still misconnects it, you still will be looking for that misconnection, it does happen even with very experienced installers from time to time.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Just like many other problems an ohm meter along with strategic isolation points can help narrow things down so you don't have to go to every possible point in a system.

If someone uses a conductor with some sort of standardized marking yet still misconnects it, you still will be looking for that misconnection, it does happen even with very experienced installers from time to time.

So, my "Public Input" was "Resolved" ... I now understand that the Electrical Code is not an instruction manual.

Attachments

• NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.4(C) Proposed Amendment.pdf
    128.2 KB · Views: 11
  • NATIONAL ELECTRIC CODE 2023 - Section 200.6(A) Proposed Amendment.pdf
    57.3 KB · Views: 10