How best access mains from 400A meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldchap

We have new construction requiring a pair of 200A panels on a wall that is perpendicular the outside wall where a 400A meter base will be located. The inside floor level is at outside grade level. Outside wall is brick. Conduit needs to run from meter base a short distance INSIDE the perpendicular wall that butts the outside wall behind the meter base. A single conduit below the panels with a T would be great but the T would not be assessable and therefore not allowed. Also, I don't believe the code would allow one set of conductors to pass through the first panel but I don't know where to find a pertinent requirement. What is the next best thing to do, please. Many thanks.

Buck Parrish

Some jurisdictions are different. You will want to check with your inspector.
By the way, how far is a short distance. Where are you? You may get by with seu.
That area where the perpendicular wall meets is a support wall. You may want to get the carpenters to build a chase.

e57

~ Also, I don't believe the code would allow one set of conductors to pass through the first panel but I don't know where to find a pertinent requirement. What is the next best thing to do, please. Many thanks.
You won't fid a code for that - because there is not one.... The closest you'll get is enclosures used as raceways and having the space/fill to do so.... Much like the way one could also splice in a panel.... Both practices are often frowned upon - and the "myth" becomes 'code' in many peoples minds. Not a good trap to fall into...

As for your conduit situation - most places interpet the code differently on the wording of service conductors 'nearest point' inside, and it can vary from not at all to 40-50'...

The 'safest and easiest' is to have a main - or two mains for the cost factor - outside - or the EASIEST a combo at the meter. You could get a "class 320/400 meter main combo" - have all your GEC's in the same enclosure adjacent to the meter compartment. Then there is no worry about what one inspector over another thinks about how far service conductors can enter the building, and just have what I call a "slapper" - you slap it on the wall - your done... (Although it might take two guys to 'slap' a 320/400 on a wall...)

(BTW you should also check your local utility for what they allow for metering equipment.)

oldchap

400A meter base to two 200A mains

400A meter base to two 200A mains

Thanks for previous suggestions. For clarification, the first panel is about 24-30 inches behind meter base. The second is beside it, separated by a stud. What would be wrong with running one conduit directly from back of meter base through the perpendicular wall to first panel, then dropping down from meter base to an LB and running below the first panel up to the bottom of the second panel. There would be two separate conduits, each with the required conductors. We can handle the building load-bearing problem someone mentioned. Wouldn't this be all right? Why or why not, please.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sounds like you need to add 2- 200 amp discos outside on each side of the meter then feed wherever you want inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.