how do you install a lockout relay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

A customer installed a attic fan and since he has a gas furnace up there it is recommended to use a lockout relay.Honestly don't think i've seen one before and i know i've never installed one before.Can you please help me out?Thank you for your help:smile:

peter d

zappy said:
A customer installed a attic fan and since he has a gas furnace up there it is recommended to use a lockout relay.Honestly don't think i've seen one before and i know i've never installed one before.Can you please help me out?Thank you for your help:smile:

What kind of fan? An attic ventilation fan or a whole house fan? I can see the problem here with the fan sucking flue gas out of the furnace. Is the furnace sealed combustion (ie condensing)?

You could wire it so that when the T-stat calls for heat, you can wire it to a 24 v coil on a relay that opens the circuit on the fan.

Last edited:

mdshunk

If the thermostat is set properly on the attic fan, the lockout relay will be unnecessary. It won't run in the winter anyhow.

If you ask me, it's unnecessary in any event. The attic fan does not draw air from the house. It sucks in one gable vent (or soffit vent) and blows it out. Whoever suggested a lockout relay has just enough education to be dangerous. After all, we don't put lockout relays on the bath fans and range hood exhaust fans. Double retarded.

zappy

Thanks peter.

Thanks peter.

Its a attic vent fan.It comes with a thermostat so at a certain temp.it kicks on.I dont know if its sealed combustion if it is then can the fan be on at the same time?Is condensing have like a drip pan or something to drain water?I saw something like that.

BackInTheHabit

zappy said:

Who suggested the recommendation of a lockout relay?

zappy

That crossed my mind.

That crossed my mind.

mdshunk said:
If the thermostat is set properly on the attic fan, the lockout relay will be unnecessary. It won't run in the winter anyhow.

If you ask me, it's unnecessary in any event. The attic fan does not draw air from the house. It sucks in one gable vent (or soffit vent) and blows it out. Whoever suggested a lockout relay has just enough education to be dangerous. After all, we don't put lockout relays on the bath fans and range hood exhaust fans. Double retarded.
The manufactor's directions said that you could use a switch but is recommended to use a lockout relay.

mdshunk

zappy said:
The manufactor's directions said that you could use a switch but is recommended to use a lockout relay.
The manufacturer probably put that instruction in the event that you installed an asmospheric burner in an attic space. Not necessary for a basement or crawl space furnace. The lockout relay is pretty simple, if you're stil interested in putting one in. There's a Honeywell part that costs 12 dollars that would be perfect for that. Reply if you insist on putting one in, and I'll lay it out for you.

peter d

zappy said:
I dont know if its sealed combustion if it is then can the fan be on at the same time?Is condensing have like a drip pan or something to drain water?I saw something like that.

If it's sealed combustion it will have 2" or 3" PVC pipe (rather than a steel chimney) for intake air and exhaust. It does not have a drip pan to collect the condensate, but it does have a small trap and a 3/4" outlet connected to a PVC drain pipe.

zappy

I belive that is it.

I belive that is it.

peter d said:
If it's sealed combustion it will have 2" or 3" PVC pipe (rather than a steel chimney) for intake air and exhaust. It does not have a drip pan to collect the condensate, but it does have a small trap and a 3/4" outlet connected to a PVC drain pipe.
Yes i saw the things you described.

zappy

Dang marc is there anything you don't know??

Dang marc is there anything you don't know??

mdshunk said:
The manufacturer probably put that instruction in the event that you installed an asmospheric burner in an attic space. Not necessary for a basement or crawl space furnace. The lockout relay is pretty simple, if you're stil interested in putting one in. There's a Honeywell part that costs 12 dollars that would be perfect for that. Reply if you insist on putting one in, and I'll lay it out for you.
It also said there may be times in the spring or fall when it may get hot enough in the attic to kick on the attic fan, and cold enough in the house to turn on the furnace.Well i was going to put a switch and then i brought this to the attention of the customer so now they want the lockout relay:rolleyes: Maybe i can talk them back out of it:grin: Yes please marc can you guide me through it?You da man!Thank you.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
stickboy1375 said:
WHy on earth would someone turn a attic fan on with the heat running? Gotta love protecting the stupid... :roll:

my attic fan is wired off a thermostat set to come on at some high temperature. i don't know there is any interlock with the furnace. the thermostat on the fan effectively prevents it from running when the furnace might come on.

it also has another thermostat that shuts it off if it gets too hot - on the theory that it would be a bad idea for the fan to run during a fire.

i did not install it, but I think the HVAC guy that did said it all came with the fan.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
mdshunk said:
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.
Marc, where did you find this?

quogueelectric

There are a couple of different issues here. First of all what type of attic fan are we talking about.
Is it a whole house fan which will place a huge fan in the ceiling of the top floor of a house and suck all of the warm air out of the dwelling space and force it into the attic also displacing all of the hot air trapped in the attic with warm house air.
This fan will cause positive pressurization in the attic.
A gable vent is usually a much smaller sized fan placed in front of a gable vent usually thermostatically controlled.
This fan will create a negative pressurization which is what I think the problem is.
Most gas burning appliances that I have installed require at least 1/2 inches of mercury pressurization for combustion air. I have rarely seen these installed correctly.
I am not sure if a residential gas fired furnace requires pos pressurization for combustion air on such a small scale yet I do realize that neg pressurization could become extremely dangerous if durring the purge cycle the gas valve opened and the purge didnt happen for whatever reason the gas would be sucked into the living space and as Rattus likes to say KABLOOEY.
There is a simple and practical solution to split the feed between the two to a Summer / Winter switch which you could use a 3 way switch feed the point screw and come back to the fan on the summer side and come back to the furnace on the winter side. Just locate the switch in a practical location not to be confused with the emergency shut down switch. I sometimes install a summer /winter switch for an attic fan just to be able to cut a hole if I need a feed in the attic from the basement. Easy access for a dversa bit up and down.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricalperson said:
if the fan cant turn on without the heater being on wont a regular normally open single pole relay work?
I believe the opposite is the goal: no fan with the furnace operating. A 24v relay with an NC contact in series with the fan's power would do it.

If the purpose is to prevent interference with proper flue operation, the relay should be energized when the gas valve is, rather than the blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.