How do you make a watertight connection between PVC conduit and a metal enclosure?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just like a lot of things, ...they have only been evaluated for use with rigid or IMC.
From the UL Guide Information for "conduit fittings (DWTT)"
What does the UL guide say about the standard RMC/IMC locknuts that we use on PVC terminal adapters, do they have a more broad use list?

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Take a look at the rubber "O" ring on a Carflex connector. They are 100% plastic also so this ring obviously is listed for that use.

MTW

5261_tc1_3d_720x540.jpg

This is the style I use when I need a reliable seal. Stainless molded with rubber.
Conforms to:
• UL 514B, Fittings for Cable and Conduit
– File: E23018 Trade sizes from 3/8" to 4"

www-public.tnb.com/shared/msds/TDS000232.pdf

farmantenna

I will mention that I went back to my CT cabinet installation that had a 1-1/2" (to meter)pvc TA WITH HARDWARE STORE o ring 2 months later and multiple rain storms and no signs of water.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
5261_tc1_3d_720x540.jpg

This is the style I use when I need a reliable seal. Stainless molded with rubber.
Conforms to:
• UL 514B, Fittings for Cable and Conduit
– File: E23018 Trade sizes from 3/8" to 4"

www-public.tnb.com/shared/msds/TDS000232.pdf
An architectural lighting vendor we work with uses this style of sealing ring for the KO's in their outdoor-rated power and data supplies. They're fantastic! Never a leak, even in some very demanding outdoor environments.

SceneryDriver

BarryO

Occupation
Electrical engineer (retired)
NEMA 3R metal enclosures are not watertight; e.g., they have weep holes. They need to be splash proof and rain/snow proof, but that's it. Are we overthinking things? Especially since it sounds like this is an Article 800 circuit.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
An architectural lighting vendor we work with uses this style of sealing ring for the KO's in their outdoor-rated power and data supplies. They're fantastic! Never a leak, even in some very demanding outdoor environments.

SceneryDriver
I used lots of those sealing rings, carried on my work van up to 2” size