How do you trace concealed circuits without shutting the power off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

What use is a little button ( use to make lights blink , I for get the name ) . I put a light socket what I make up that plug into different receptacles around the dwelling . I take my amp probe and in panel go down each breaker. The probe will bounce up and down when on the right circuit .

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
If you have a general idea which it might be, or not too many conductors to check, you can use an old-school method:

Plug in a large-ish (150 watt) incandescent lightbulb, with an old-timey Xmas-light flasher. Check the suspected conductors with a clamp-on ammeter, looking for the one that's twitching* at the same rate your test lamp is flashing.

* Works best when the COA has an analog scale and needle. Rather difficult to discern with a digital COA.
Yes I have used that for 40 years, super simple. But back then the ckt tracers were not that good.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
Pulled the trigger on the 959.

Used it today to trace out the issue with some dead receptacles in a store room.

Work fabulously. 👍 Very happy with it.

It ain’t cheap, so I’ll be adding a charge for breaking it out. Or upping my hourly. Or something. 🤣

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Pulled the trigger on the 959.

Used it today to trace out the issue with some dead receptacles in a store room.

Work fabulously. 👍 Very happy with it.

It ain’t cheap, so I’ll be adding a charge for breaking it out. Or upping my hourly. Or something. 🤣
It’s a good tracer, but we were getting them a lot cheaper, we were paying around $600 for it. But then when you buy 100 at a time, they tend to give you a better deal! LOL!

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
If it's a 20-amp OCPD, that's 37.5 amps, (nominal) less than 200% of breaker rating, and will take about 2-6 minutes to open. Might be a little slow to be practical.

full disclosure: Shootin' from th' hip; did not refer to manufacturer's I²t data.

Ravenvalor

If it's a 20-amp OCPD, that's 37.5 amps, (nominal) less than 200% of breaker rating, and will take about 2-6 minutes to open. Might be a little slow to be practical.

full disclosure: Shootin' from th' hip; did not refer to manufacturer's I²t data.
Good to know. Less chance of damaging anything on the circuit.

Thanks.

Occupation
journeyman
more so looking for help from everyone but. i am a service electrician that is tired of playing ring around the rosy locating circuits. in operating buildings pretty much everyday. sometimes my environments are high risk of turning the wrong circuit off.

hillbilly, ive seen you mention in an older thread the amprobes are better due to the transmitters draw short bursts of high frequency current from the line power. which you had mentioned this feature is more accurate than the other devices like the greenlee or suretrace.

honestly, this is coming out of my pocket so. the amprobe at-6010 for $500 looks kind of attractive. hopefully i am not missing out on too many features compared to the at-6020 or at-6030. anything more than $500 is pretty expensive imo. ive also researched the at-6000 series and see no mention of the drawing off of line power.

i trust you guys with the experience. what you all think? hunt down an older model like hillbillys? might be even cheaper than $500 at that point. most of my high risk circuits are energized usually. but i am sure there will be projects where i need to locate de energized circuits.

looking to buy the right tool once, and be done with it. i need something better on my truck than these cheap $50 120v circuit tracers. thanks for your time and insight guys.

Occupation
journeyman
more so looking for help from everyone but. i am a service electrician that is tired of playing ring around the rosy locating circuits. in operating buildings pretty much everyday. sometimes my environments are high risk of turning the wrong circuit off.

hillbilly, ive seen you mention in an older thread the amprobes are better due to the transmitters draw short bursts of high frequency current from the line power. which you had mentioned this feature is more accurate than the other devices like the greenlee or suretrace.

honestly, this is coming out of my pocket so. the amprobe at-6010 for $500 looks kind of attractive. hopefully i am not missing out on too many features compared to the at-6020 or at-6030. anything more than $500 is pretty expensive imo. ive also researched the at-6000 series and see no mention of the drawing off of line power.

i trust you guys with the experience. what you all think? hunt down an older model like hillbillys? might be even cheaper than $500 at that point. most of my high risk circuits are energized usually. but i am sure there will be projects where i need to locate de energized circuits.

looking to buy the right tool once, and be done with it. i need something better on my truck than these cheap $50 120v circuit tracers. thanks for your time and insight guys.
upon further reading, i would have to go with the at-6020 because of it having more modes. some of the modes are specifically for locating breakers with cleaner frequencies leading to less false readings when locating breakers. this bumps me up to $850. the suretrace for $1100 at this point is in the same ballpark. man o man its hard to pull the trigger on something that expensive.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC

Ravenvalor

What use is a little button ( use to make lights blink , I for get the name ) . I put a light socket what I make up that plug into different receptacles around the dwelling . I take my amp probe and in panel go down each breaker. The probe will bounce up and down when on the right circuit .
If there was a type of ampmeter that you can hold up against the breaker without removing the panel cover you'd have a great product.

Status
Not open for further replies.