how long does it take ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

copper chopper

Can you poeple here tell me what you think the qualifications are to become a foreman in your eyes..
I have 26 years expierence in the electrical field, 4 years as a foreman and 7 years as a general foreman.
I have been at this contractor for 4 years now and I cant get back to foreman status. its getting very frustrating that I have to teach my boss how to do things, and code..
Why cant I just get his job, I do it better than him and know more, plus I have more expeirence doing it.
but no I am just another yahoo that bends pipe and pulls wire in there eyes.Also I was a working foreman, not one of these poeple that once they get this title the tools stay in the car and dont get used ever agian... and the project managers wonder why they dont make money on most of these projects...
if you poeple have any advice please let me know!!!!!!!!!!!!
:ashamed:

Last edited:

John120/240

Politics in the work place. Maybe you just need to learn to play there game..... But if that is

what it takes to get ahead at this employer, you might be better off by not playing politics

my 02 cents for what it is worth

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Don't teach him anything or help him in any way when he stumbles. You are throwing your pearls before the swine.

ritelec

Why cant I just get his job, I do it better than him and know more, plus I have more expeirence doing it.

You can open your own shop, and give it a whirl.

Been in the field for 30 years...........ever sit for your test??? (that ole' Abe Lincoln commercial comes to mind....Do you have that sheep skin?).

I'm sure he may be doing something right (other than having you as an employee).

Two things. The grass is always greener...... and realize the benefits (health, pension, annuity) that you are getting, plus you get a paycheck every week, unlike he who may have to wait or fight for the $$$.
(he has to pay you (weekly) with your package, and the expenses to operate a business....easier said than done)

OK.....three things. ALSO>>> Some people are just lucky ducks. They seem to step in it and get all. (happens in every field) Some people are not.

growler

It's hard to replace one foreman with another unless the first guy leaves the company or really screws up.

I would guess the reason that you haven't been offered a foreman's position is that work is slow and they don't need another foreman.

If you were the foreman would you want to be replaced just because another guy comes along with more experience?

bradleyelectric

I like that snoozing dogs answer. I'm figuring they are employing you at the position they hired you for. You probably applied for that position. If they have a position open that you want they may ask you to fill it. If you are a team player they will be more likely to offer it to you. You might want to make it known to who ever makes that decision that you would like to be considered if a foremans position becomes available. Until then I'm sure they would expecdt you to work to the best of your ability in the position you currently hold. That would include doing whatever it takes to help the company make money.

I was always amazed when someone would come in and apply and I'd pay them what they asked for. 2 weeks later I'd hear that the person would be complaining that I knew they were making less then what they were worth. That would only be the beginning of it and I'd let the person go. Someone that causes trouble isn't worth it no matter what they are being paid.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Are you getting paid a forman wage or not? If not then ask for a raise. Why do you care what your title is? You obviously are experienced and know more than the boss.

Most of the time you go up the ladder (title wise) then the responsibilities go up with it, but some times your wage can go up without your title and since you don't have that title then you have less responsibility with a better pay.

I am not referring to the OP, but sometimes you have people who are looking to get a title. They don't have experience but they have a title.

this is my $.00002

copper chopper

thanks for all the 2 cents guys I suppose I should have told that I am union and we all make the same pay scale thanks to this economy. we cant apply for positions as do non union shops but you seem to have to know somebody, be friends with, or somehow be related to someone with the power to give you this title.I just miss being able to do my own lay outs and the ablity to be way more organized than these guys. They have aurguments as to whose job I will go work on, so I feel sort of in demand but its only in a labor capacity...I do the actual work so they dont have to, but when the job doesnt make money, goes over budget and does not meet its dead line I am not present for those conversations and wonder if the blame is put on who???.. I know how to make the company more money but as 1 guy said why should I show them how when all they will do is take my knowledge for there own. and not give credit where its due!!!!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
thanks for all the 2 cents guys I suppose I should have told that I am union and we all make the same pay scale thanks to this economy. we cant apply for positions as do non union shops but you seem to have to know somebody, be friends with, or somehow be related to someone with the power to give you this title.I just miss being able to do my own lay outs and the ablity to be way more organized than these guys. They have aurguments as to whose job I will go work on, so I feel sort of in demand but its only in a labor capacity...I do the actual work so they dont have to, but when the job doesnt make money, goes over budget and does not meet its dead line I am not present for those conversations and wonder if the blame is put on who???.. I know how to make the company more money but as 1 guy said why should I show them how when all they will do is take my knowledge for there own. and not give credit where its due!!!!

If you don't like your contractor, why don't you drag up and sign the books and hook up with somebody else?

If you are getting 40 hours per week, union scale with union benefits, right now, you have no reason to bitch. Our books are about a year ride, it was as long as two. Most of the guys from my hall have to work out of state, leaving their families in order not to lose their homes.

I'm just sayin'.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
True foreman story:

We just rebuilt a bus from the gen deck of a powerhouse to the switch yard. The job of the bus was to take 2400 volts from the grid back to the generators to enable an in-phase re-start of a stopped generator.

I was standing next to the foreman while he was telling the apprentii how the phases were run. I had just had this discussion with one of the apprentii as he asked why, from inside the building the phases were XYZ, but outside they were ZYX. Of course, the reason was that you were looking at the bus from different sides.

The foreman told the apprentii to run and label the phases XYZ. (I was there when they tore it apart). I told him that it was ZYX. He disagreed. I said fine, but I told him I wanted to be there when they turned it on for the first time because I wanted to see the electricity from the grid being sucked back into the generator and turned back into coal.

He went off in a huff and a while later I noticed that the apprentii were labeling the phases correctly.

The foreman never said anything to me about it, nor did I to him. I didn't care, other than if he would have proceeded I would have intervened due to the possibility of a huge accident occurring. But it didn't. I was a journeyman and I was being paid big bucks on this job and I am sure that put at least some question in his mind. It was my job to make the last connection of the bus running from the switch yard to the bus running up the side of the building and when I did I double checked the connections and also told the QC guy working with me about it and asked him to check as well.

I know full well what it's like to work union. I have had foremen that were beyond stupid, outright un-safe. That's what the hall is for. But if you are safe and not being verbally abused, count your blessings. It could be worse and you are making good money right now.

Around here, union guys working the same amount of hours as non-union guys make more money. We also work in worse conditions and have to know more. There are good and bad points of working out of a hall. I think the best is that you can drag up and go back to work for someone else if you don't like your contractor.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Neck down brother, did you tell the hall you like to run work? If not then tell them.
I was also the "unpaid" foreman but was also one of the last layed off; if not going to the next job and got perks due to being smart and backing the foreman up (two heads better than one). Perks like being paid for missing work to go to an appointment, late any job over 1hr away I get there when I get there paid full or let me go, getting OT, getting jobs I liked, pick of the apprentice, info. on new jobs up coming, foreman to foreman referral in the same Co. You have to make your own conditions with in the rules.
Or drag.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Neck down brother, did you tell the hall you like to run work? If not then tell them.
I was also the "unpaid" foreman but was also one of the last layed off; if not going to the next job and got perks due to being smart and backing the foreman up (two heads better than one). Perks like being paid for missing work to go to an appointment, late any job over 1hr away I get there when I get there paid full or let me go, getting OT, getting jobs I liked, pick of the apprentice, info. on new jobs up coming, foreman to foreman referral in the same Co. You have to make your own conditions within the rules.
Or drag.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
I was also the "unpaid" foreman but was also one of the last layed off; if not going to the next job and got perks due to being smart and backing the foreman up (two heads better than one). Perks like being paid for missing work to go to an appointment, late any job over 1hr away I get there when I get there paid full or let me go, getting OT, getting jobs I liked, pick of the apprentice, info. on new jobs up coming, foreman to foreman referral in the same Co. You have to make your own conditions with in the rules.
Or drag.

Bingo!

Nicely said, bro.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
Dude, don't make waves. If you don't like your foreman, just don't help him out. You want to end up working for a 3 ring circus?

I went through the same thing with my daughter a few years ago. I had someone holding the door open for her. Just show up and go to work, no interview, none of that bs.

Well she worked in retail during college, and the starting salary at the new job was about the same as what she was making working for the retailer.

Whatta you think she did? When she said, "I'm not starting at the bottom" and "They respect me there, they made me a manager" I was screaming so loud that people in China heard me.

Now she wants in, It's 4 years later, the economy sucks more, and getting that door held open for her isn't as easy as it was. Too many people out of work. And for now she is on the outside looking in.

Status
Not open for further replies.