How many service the building can have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

I am doing an addition design to an industry building. The existing building have two services already. Two outdoor 2000kva service transformers. One for each service. One service is 3000A switchboard with 2000A main circuit breaker. The other one is 3000A switchboard without main circuit breaker, but the distribution section has 6 circuit breaker, I am assuming it meet the max 6 disconnect switches rule. From the recent 12 month electric bill, the first service is not good for the addition, the second service has enough spare capacity to supply the addition. Can I tap to the second service transformer to get the third service for the addition? The service disconnect will be located far away from the 3000A switchboard (the second service).

I read NEC handbook exhibit 230.1 ~ 230.15. It seems that one service transformer can provide more than one service (230.11, 230.12 etc) and each service can have up to 6 service disconnecting means.

Any explanation about this is really appreciated.

bwyllie

If the transformers are owned by the utility you will need to coordinate with them. If the transformers are privately owned and you have the 12 month demand readings on the existing service then I would say you could use the transformer. Will you be able to terminate the # of new service conductors at the transformer?

A building can have multiple services(refer to 230.2) and each service can have a max of 6 disconnects.

Status
Not open for further replies.