How Many Taps Off Service Drop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hello.

For my head in a potential job layout.

There is a large old house which is part dwelling (a family) and offices.

Because of certain circumstances, I'm thinking about bringing a separate service drop/ meter/ to this building, and abandon the current service.

I'm thinking 200 amp single phase. (I may also be considering a 3 phase 4 wire delta which is available, depending on single phase 240v loads they may exist at this building).

If you were to install a trough after the meter to feed/tap to 2 main breaker panels (or even 3), what size panels would you install?

20 something yrs. ago, I installed a 200 amp (single phase 3w) service for a 3 family house. I put a trough then tapped to 3 - 100 amp meter pans (may have been 4....was a long time ago) each having a 100 amp mb after the meter.

From reading at that time, I believe I could have installed (taped off to) 6 - 200 amp meters and mb's.

The inspector at the time agreed, but wanted me to change the 3 (or 4) - 100 amp mb to 60's..... which I did.

So..... how many panels would you tap off of one 200 amp single phase drop?

I will read up on it, but just throwing it out there.

Thank you

ritelec

Also, please let me add,.... give or take 15 yrs ago, I installed a three services for some convalescent homes and a one for a McMansion (200 amp single phase). I tapped after the meter to 2- 200amp panels for these installs.
Inspections passed, energized, life moved on.

Thank you.

cdslotz

I'm thinking 200 amp single phase.

If you were to install a trough after the meter to feed/tap to 2 main breaker panels (or even 3), what size panels would you install?

Are you guessing? Are you asking us to guess?

Did you run a load?
Is this all under one meter?

If I was building a new service riser to re-feed existing panels, and it's under one meter I would just re-feed what is there with no more that 6 mains grouped together.

kwired

Electron manager
Do a load calculation. If more than 200 amps you need bigger service, service drop, etc. You can still have up to six disconnects.

ritelec

Are you guessing?

Yes and no. I'll say, unclear.

Are you asking us to guess?

Yes and no. Lets say your feeding a large house (no ct cabinet) your load calculations are good at 200 amp. But 40 spaces will not be enough. Add a sub panel off the 200 amp panel? or Add another 40 circuit panel?

Did you run a load?

No... I will sit down and work up something. The current panel is 100 amp. The owner wants to add more, and this panel is packed and a mess.

Is this all under one meter?

I would like to put it under one meter just for the house at this time..

http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=142639

If I was building a new service riser to re-feed existing panels, and it's under one meter I would just re-feed what is there with no more that 6 mains grouped together.

The panels shot, so I would replace it or re-feed the existing circuits (which is also a gaggle) from a new panel .

6 mains. Ok. What size oc's on One 200 amp? Not asking you to guess.

Thank you.

Rich

maghazadeh

There is a large old house which is part dwelling (a family) and offices.
You need to perform a load calculation in order to find proper service size.
I'm thinking 200 amp single phase. (I may also be considering a 3 phase 4 wire delta which is available, depending on single phase 240v loads they may exist at this building).
For load calc. you need to know all existing loads and why 3 phase? do you have any 3 phase load?
If you have main CB before the trough (Gutter) you can tap as many as panels with MCB as you want, and if no main then you are limited to 6 handle rule.

20 something yrs. ago, I installed a 200 amp (single phase 3w) service for a 3 family house. I put a trough then tapped to 3 - 100 amp meter pans (may have been 4....was a long time ago) each having a 100 amp mb after the meter.

From reading at that time, I believe I could have installed (taped off to) 6 - 200 amp meters and mb's.

The inspector at the time agreed, but wanted me to change the 3 (or 4) - 100 amp mb to 60's..... which I did. Nonsense

So..... how many panels would you tap off of one 200 amp single phase drop?
See comment above.

I will read up

Hope that helps.

ritelec

Thank you also maghazadeh..........check the above link ..........there is 3 phase..... but not sure if I should bring it to that building. That building is currently fed with single phase but I'm going there now to check on how many
single phase 240v circuits are existing. So I may use the 3 phase if there are enough 240 v circuits to warrant it. eg: one panel for 120 volt circuits, one 3 phase panel for 240v single phase circuits.

Thanks again.

maghazadeh

Thank you also maghazadeh..........check the above link ..........there is 3 phase..... but not sure if I should bring it to that building. That building is currently fed with single phase but I'm going there now to check on how many
single phase 240v circuits are existing. So I may use the 3 phase if there are enough 240 v circuits to warrant it.
eg: one panel for 120 volt circuits, one 3 phase panel for 240v single phase circuits.

Thanks again.

Large number of 240V single phase loads does not necessarily requires to be on 3 phase system. If load calc. shows connected loads plus some added % for future loads exceeds 200A single phase, then you could use a 400A single phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.