How powerful is a "static" shock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

The other morning I pulled up some bath rugs to wash them (our cleaning lady was coming, so can the flip comments already :smile:) Anyway, the floor in the bathroom is tile, the rugs are rubber backed, the outside temp was below freezing, and when my finger touched the the cover plate screw as I reached to turn the switch off I was LIT up! I saw the arc off my finger, and truely don't recall ever being shocked like that. Anyone have an idea of the voltage a static charge has? Also at the risk of sounding ignorant, would it be a DC shock?

Thanks,

c2500

SAC

Just for reference, when testing typical electronic devices for Electro Static Discharge (ESD) tolerance, very common standards are 2000v HBM (Human Body Model) and 500v CDM (Capacitor Discharge Model). A major part of ESD discharge is not just the voltage - but the amount of charge that can be delivered. One can imagine that a very small cap with a very small charge placed on it can reach a very high potential, but it can still only deliver a very small charge when discharged, and the voltage drops very quickly. Compare that to a large capacitor at the same potential, which can deliver a lot more total charge and maintain the voltage for a longer time, and it is a very different ballgame. So, if you happen to be a really big guy... :smile:

ItsHot

3rd grade

3rd grade

I use to have a blast in the 3rd grade slidding my shoes along the carpet in the halls, and then discharging on the back of many ears with my finger! No wonder I chose this trade!!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.