how to get the proper training????

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfc53005

I've worked the last 10 years at a refinery doing different types of jobs and i got laid off last month. I'm looking to start a new career and I've always been intrustred in electrical and how to do it. I've been looking for a school to go to two get the proper training to become an electrician. Hard part is every person i talk to tells me a different thing, some say go to a trade school and others say to join the union. Eventully i want to get into solar power and possiblly open my own business. Can anyone help me? I don't want to waste my time and money doing the wrong thing

Thanks
Dan

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
I've worked the last 10 years at a refinery doing different types of jobs and i got laid off last month. I'm looking to start a new career and I've always been intrustred in electrical and how to do it. I've been looking for a school to go to two get the proper training to become an electrician. Hard part is every person i talk to tells me a different thing, some say go to a trade school and others say to join the union. Eventully i want to get into solar power and possiblly open my own business. Can anyone help me? I don't want to waste my time and money doing the wrong thing

Thanks
Dan

Welcome.

1) Stay here and learn everything that you can.
2) Question everything that you read here.
3) Read the NEC.
4) Repeat steps 1,2,3

PS The best minds post here. Go to # 1.

wireguy8169

I am not saying unions are the only way to go, but look for the closest electrical union to you and apply for the apprenticship. Or look for a private contractor that offers an apprenticship that is nationally recognize if you can that way it will follow you if you should relocate.

knoppdude

There are so many ways to enter the trade, that you should probably just start talking with contractors in your area. Ask them about electrical work, and try to get an idea if it is really what you want to do. If so, start asking if any are taking on apprentices, and if you show a burning desire, and that you will do right by them, one might take you on. This work will give you hours toward your journeyman status. It took me two years to break into the trade, and others even longer, so don't get discouraged if it is really what you want to do. Also, ask questions on this site, people are very knowledgeable here, and happy to help. Good luck.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
How you get into the trade depends on the rules of your state. some states say you must be in an apprenticeship program, other say apprenticeship on OJT. Apprenticeship programs are not limited to the unions. I will state categorically that the best electricians come out of the apprenticeship program.

Status
Not open for further replies.