How to ground equipment that has supply power from (2) subpanels

hughesgh

New User
Occupation
Engineer
I have a custom "box" with multiple pieces of rack mounted equipment inside it (DC power supplies, step-down transformer, fans, etc). The box is supplied with (2) different types of power; (1) 115VAC power input and (1) 208VAC single-phase power input. The metallic rack that houses these pieces of equipment needs to be grounded in case of any shorts or electrification of the rack.

I cannot guarantee that the (2) power inputs will be fed from the same subpanel within the building. How do I ground the metallic rack inside this box? Should I only use the grounding conductor from the 115VAC input, or should I only use the one from the 208VAC input? Or should I tie both grounding conductors together to the rack inside the box?

If the power inputs to the "box" were fed from the same subpanel, then this would not be an issue, correct? Since I cannot guarantee this, I am not sure what the NEC says about this type of situation.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

I'd say connect both circuits' EGCs. If either is interrupted, the other remains.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If both circuits the 208v and the 120v appear in the box, then I would use both EGCs and tie them together (although they don't have to be tied together) they could be terminated separately but together is best practice.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
This is the same question as here: