How to handle correctly-dissatisfied customer

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallyworld

I think I would document the issues with the opener and go after both HD and the manufacturer. Refund the customer as thats a lost cause. You are never going to make them happy at this point. I would go into HD with Invoice in hand showing all trips, time, material, phone calls etc. Do the same for manufacturer. See what happens. Maybe HD can lean on Manufacturer?

JoeyD74

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I recently installed a Mighty Mule sliding-gate opener for a customer. After a couple of weeks, the first one quit. Apparently, the motor quit or the electric brake jammed. I clicked but did not move. They sent a replacement, which ran but acted jammed even before installing the chain, so they sent another one, which worked but the battery-charging circuitry failed, so they sent a replacement circuit board, and said the batteries must be charged before the new board would recognize and charge them.

So, they are now charged and I am waiting for the customer to let me know when I can bring them back. The problem is that he is fed up with all of this, and asked me why I keep using the same company. Warranty won't pay for another brand, obviously. He said he is done, that I have failed to provide a working gate system, and wants a refund so he can find another contractor. I asked him to be a little more patient and see if this works. If anything else goes wrong, he will insist on a refund.

With each failure, I have had to make at least two trips there, as well as get on the phone with Mighty Mule to go through their hoops to determine the equipment is defective, wait for and then bring back the new unit and replace the old one, all at my own expense, as they do not cover labor. If the customer wants his money back, how do I protect myself from a further royal reaming? Is there a way to force a supplier to cover the extra six to eight trips I've had to make at one to two hours each?

What do I do? I feel that he paid me some money for equipment and some for my labor. I performed the labor, so should I have to give back every penny, or just what I receive for the returned equipment, presuming I even get that back? What about my mark-up? The pedestal is in the ground, so that can't be returned. I bought the unit through Home Depot, in case that makes any difference, but haven't pursued that avenue yet. As far as I know, I am to deal directly with Mighty Mule as I have been.

I don't blame him, but I don't blame myself, either. "Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!"

Id remove the system and buy another brand and install it. Your going to have to go after the company to try to get your money back on the old product.

kwired

Electron manager
Id remove the system and buy another brand and install it. Your going to have to go after the company to try to get your money back on the old product.
Unfortunately that is probably the only way to save face with the customer, and at same time hopefully get them to at least comment to others that you didn't totally screw them over. Doing nothing or even just giving them full refund probably gives you primarily negative comments from the client to other potential clients.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Yeah, that's true. You might want to give the customer a choice- refund or install something else. At this point he may have lost confidence in you and might want to start with a clean slate. Then again he might want to go with another product with a better track record and not from HD.

-Hal

growler

This is just a bad situation all the way around with no good solution.

I don't like to purchase equipment for a customer like this because I am afraid it will turn out to be a real piece of crap.

I have only worked on one of the mighty mule openers and I did get it to work but still I don't care much for the product.

__dan

Banned
It's gone now but Home Depot used to have a huge banner sign hanging over the registers. It said if you have any customer dispute issues to call Benny Hill (IIRC) and had his picture and toll free number on it.

Used it once. Customer had bought their own meter socket from HD and I installed it. It was not on the POCO approved list so it came back out and I put another there. Customer got $150 for labor after I told him to call Benny Hill (HD corporate customer dispute resolution). Heard of another. Someone had trouble buying kitchen cabinets and I suggested they call Benny Hill. They got something to happen after that.

Try writing up an invoice of your lost time and submit it to Home Depot corporate customer satisfaction to pay. Try asking them for you to speak to Benny Hill (IIRC).

The HD store will not be able to do what HD corporate can do.

I may have missed it, but did the customer have any role in selecting (or approving) the MM gate hardware? If they did, I think they're on hook for at part of the cost of the gate. Either way, they should still pay for all the supporting work done so it could be installed at all. (A receptacle was installed... if it works, they owe for it. Same for a power feed to the opener. etc)

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
If I picked this product out and recommended it to the customer, I would stand behind behind the install, that's part of doing business. I think simply refunding the money doesn't look good and leaves the customer with a mess he now has to deal with. With another contractor.

I would instead tear everything out and install a quality gate opener, something with good customer service and a proper warranty to make it right.

I know the business we run, we're in it to make money and do a good job for our customers. Whatever it takes. This gate opener you installed is clearly a lemon, in my mind you need to make it right, I would not be squabbling over the hours or dollars it takes to get them a good functional system.

Just my two cents.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If I picked this product out and recommended it to the customer, I would stand behind behind the install, that's part of doing business. I think simply refunding the money doesn't look good and leaves the customer with a mess he now has to deal with. With another contractor.

I would instead tear everything out and install a quality gate opener, something with good customer service and a proper warranty to make it right.

I know the business we run, we're in it to make money and do a good job for our customers. Whatever it takes. This gate opener you installed is clearly a lemon, in my mind you need to make it right, I would not be squabbling over the hours or dollars it takes to get them a good functional system.

Just my two cents.

Do you not get that the customer doesn't want him to fix it!! He wants his money back. Period.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Do you not get that the customer doesn't want him to fix it!! He wants his money back. Period.

The bottom line is, the customer wants a functioning gate system when this is all said and done. Whoever ends up installing it.

In my opinion, if the product is failing to meet everyones standards, conversations need to take place in the beginning leading towards replacing with another quality gate system long before it gets to the point the customer is so mad they only want a refund and you off their property.

Larry saddled this horse....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
He's not mad at me, but he wants what he paid for. So do I. I want to be a "co-plaintiff", not a "defendant". I'm on his side.

I put the recharged batteries in today. Apparently, the new board isn't working correctly, I have to wait until Monday now.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
He's not mad at me, but he wants what he paid for. So do I. I want to be a "co-plaintiff", not a "defendant". I'm on his side.

I put the recharged batteries in today. Apparently, the new board isn't working correctly, I have to wait until Monday now.

It’s a tough situation to be in for sure; I’ve learned little lessons like this along the way.

I think maybe though if you can just get the dang thing to finally work the customer will leave it alone.

Maybe you can get this one going and be done with might mule. I’ve worked on enough of them that I know I don’t want to sell them.

I’ve got a friend that’s a Viking dealer, so what I’ve always done is take the work on running the power, and give him the referral on the gate opener. I’ve always thought it’s best to leave it to someone that does the work every day, and also stocks the parts to repair them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.