How to Let water drain out of conduit?

mikeIII

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'm going to replace a rusted well house subpanel. The well house is about 300 ft from the main panel. It is also downhill by about 20 feet.
In the winter water runs down the conduit and comes out at the the subpanel. In the attached photo, the center conduit is the problem.
The wire is rated for the water.

How can I reconfigure the conduit to let the water out before it get to the subpanel? Is it bad practice to drill a hole?

Thanks for your ideas.
Displaying IMG-3166.jpg

An expansion coupling works well as a water escape path. If it's the "slip riser" type it's good to go but if it's a coupling one you may want to take out the o-rings on the inner part. You could also just mount a PVC box below the panel and drill some weep holes in it.

I have some conduit sloping downhill into my basement, and I was very careful about how I set them up. I drilled some holes in the underside of the conduit and then sloped it back up a little before it entered the house. This was all in clean gravel that drained down to the footing and was daylighted. So it kind of depends on the setup a little bit, and another variable is if freezing is an issue I have seen it burst PVC conduits so in that case you might want to drainage solution that is below grade.

kwired

Electron manager
Is water leaking into this or is it the results of condensation inside the raceway?

Duct seal in end of the raceway would stop air flow which should lessen the condensation.

Reactions: MTW

mikeIII

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Freezing is not a concern, and the ground below below is dirt so no problem with the water on the ground. It’s not condensation but rather water leaking into the conduit. I liked the idea of a PVC box with holes.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Install a "C" conduit body right before the conduit goes into the subpage. Use 1" screws for the conduit body cover to keep the cover on and have a ½" gap. The other side of the CB where it goes into the subpage, put in some duct seal.

mikeIII

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Install a "C" conduit body right before the conduit goes into the subpage. Use 1" screws for the conduit body cover to keep the cover on and have a ½" gap. The other side of the CB where it goes into the subpage, put in some duct seal.
That will work and easy. Great idea! Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
Thanks to all for the great suggestions. Freezing is not a concern, and the ground below below is dirt so no problem with the water on the ground. It’s not condensation but rather water leaking into the conduit. I liked the idea of a PVC box with holes.
Source of the leak?

Runoff when it does happen may be able to deal with to some extent. High water table or something like that you aren't getting rid of that water in many cases unless you actually pump it away somehow. Any Drain field you install would be subject to same high water table and be ineffective, or at very least if the source is pretty unlimited said drain field would only drain so much before it backs up.

So some those details will matter as far as how effective the drainage will be.