How to verify existing parking lot light pole height

anbm

If the design drawing and shop drawings are not available, is there a method to verify the existing parking lot light pole height at site? Thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Assuming that you cannot get up there to measure it? They do make highly accurate laser measuring devices that will tell you the height.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would think you could stand back and eyeball a 45-degree angle, maybe with a protractor, visually mark the point on the ground, and measure the horizontal equivalent distance.

Or search for how to measure the height of a pole using trigonometry.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Take a speed square and set in on a level. Make the level level with some shims. Sight up the 45 of the speed square to to the top of the pole. Adjust your horizontal distance until it sights right to the top of the pole.
:unsure:

I think you're saying the same thing I am, but with a different visual aid.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would think you could stand back and eyeball a 45-degree angle, maybe with a protractor, visually mark the point on the ground, and measure the horizontal equivalent distance.

Or search for how to measure the height of a pole using trigonometry.
Yep. That is how tree height is measured with angle and trig

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The shadow ratio method is by far the easiest. If a six foot pole throws a three foot shadow and the light pole shadow is 20 feet long, the pole is 40 feet high. QED. Of course, if it's a cloudy day, you are screwed. :D