How to verify existing parking lot light pole height

Mr. Serious

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have always used the method with the proportional shadows, but I've been off by a few feet if the ground isn't level. I like those boy scout methods because they don't require the ground to be level.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I have always used the method with the proportional shadows, but I've been off by a few feet if the ground isn't level. I like those boy scout methods because they don't require the ground to be level.
I think they taught us those when we were Webelos

a68e1ca485e8df9a1146473a2311eb0f.jpg

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I assumed, correctly or not, the light pole in question to be in a parking lot.

ggunn

Occupation
It doesn't need to be level, just flat. Then be sure to check your reference shadow on the same slope.

Cheers, Wayne
It would also be useful to know how accurate the measurement needs to be.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Reminds me of a guy that needed to measure how high a pole was. It wasn't set in the ground yet, just leaning against a wall. He was struggling to get a tape measure to the top. His friend came by and ask what he was doing. The man said he was trying to see how tall the pole was.

His friend said "why don't you lay it down, then measure it to see how long it is?"
The man replied "I don't need to know how long it is, I need to know how tall it is!"

kwired

Electron manager
Unless we are talking over 25-30 feet couple some raceway together ( 1/2 or 3/4 PVC works great but just slip them and not glue together) then hold up against pole , if you can reach top of pole with two pieces you have 20 feet plus however much more distance there is to the base.

Getting 3 pieces to stand up like this is tricky but might be able to be done if absolutely no wind at the time.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I have iOS 16.6.1 on my phone. Can you help me find 'Utilities' before I download it?
Should be on one of your home pages. Apple support says it’s a folder, not an actual app. If you can’t find it. They say to swipe left to the end page, then move it back to your home page. (App Library)

Attachments

• IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

retirede

Icons/apps can be rearranged at will. The “Utilities” group could be anywhere on your phone depending on how you’ve arranged your apps.

ggunn

Occupation
Tape measure

Climb to top of pole carrying tape measure of sufficient length.
Don't fall off pole.
Extend tape measure to bottom of pole.
Don't fall off pole.
Read number on tape.
Don't fall off pole.
Climb back down pole.
QED