how to wire 3 way switch and have power continue to other fixtures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

james23912

New User
Occupation
janitor
I have a book showing various 3 way switch diagrams but each one only shows the wiring part itself, coming from a 2 wire and then connecting one or two lights, but none of the drawings show how to continue the power to other things further on the run, so for example, I want to have a 3 way for my kitchen light and also have 4 recessed lights in the kitchen, with both switches in the same box and the other 3 way switch for the overhead light across the room, so I was thinking I could just make a pigtail to power both the 3 way and the 4 recessed lights in the first box, , but I don't know if this would mean the 3 way switch would also work the recessed ones, and later I need to run 2 lights in a hallway with 2 switches, , so I guess what I am asking is how do you continue to run power to other things, there must be a way, otherwise every 3 way would need its own circuit, so is it just making a pigtail from the power?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the Report Button at the lower left hand corner of the post

Status
Not open for further replies.