How would conflicts between 110.3(B) and other Code sections be handled?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There used to be a limit of ?3 smart switches on a circuit maybe it is the mfg that states this but I ran into it years back and had to change switch types. (Switches that required the ground)
See the exception to 404.2(C). No more than 5 on a branch circuit or 25 on a feeder.

kwired

Electron manager
I am glad I live in a state that has an exception to GFCI’s , Oregon has exception #5 for equipment in a dedicated space not easily moved and labeled not GFCI protected,
To me the NEC is becoming to much of a “nanny organization”, I believe in GFCI’s near water & outside and arcfaults in bedrooms but that’s it, how many tens of thousands of homes are 3 wire feeders? most all prior to the 99 code,
I think NFPA itself not the "nanny organization", any of us are able to submit input for changes, problem is manufacturers having deep enough pockets to sell their side of a story to code making panel members. You or I can dislike a AFCI or GFCI rule all we want but we aren't dropping the amount of $$$ necessary for a convincing enough study and presentation to show those that are on the CMP's that we have a better idea than what the AFCI/GFCI manufacturer put together and convinced them that even if a little questionable, well let's do it anyway in the name of safety and they eventually will work out any problems it currently has.

I lost faith in NFPA doing the right thing way back with about 2005 or 2008 NEC editions, particularly with AFCI and GFCI protection. A lot of the changes since about then are more of a "because we can" reasoning more so than cold hard statistics showing there is a true problem area with what changes were made.