How would YOU handle this. Electrician that ain't one.....

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen some hacks. Some of the worst are from "electricians". Here's a service I recently ripped out. View attachment 2571454
Seen similar. The excuse was stated it was a temp hookup (But come on, ten + years?). At least it was hidden in the basement on the ones I've seen.
Hey someone at some point did try to do it right with the UF cable in the conduit. So, How long would it take to get the level of corrosion seen there on the external service?

Bill Annett

Occupation
Retired ( 2020 ) City Electrical inspector
I'm confident this guy could never pass the test. I mean, juice 101 teaches you the difference between ground and neutral, doing a mental check that conductors have the right current protection. But #10 Cu on a 60A? Nah....

Wondering if there was a way back in the day to get grandfathered or something.

People make mistakes, but usually not 50 on a single basic job. It reeks!

I don't like seeing people scammed. Last one I can recall, one of these big "do it all" outfits sent a guy to an elderly couple because water pump was not working right. I work with them and questioned the diagnosis anyway. But I guess the worker worked up a special scam for him that he would return on the weekend and moonlight the job for less $. Then brought over his kids to dig a 6" trench and direct bury NM as the 240V branch to the pump. That company owner got my call on Monday when I heard about it. "Make it very right or I will make it rain" is all I told him. Scamming the elderly is switch for me. Guy is a vet with medical issues.
Good morning. Back in the 1990’s when the WV state Fire marshal Electrician license was required. There was a time period before the law took effect that would grant a license to people who met certain requirements. One of the requirements was that you had to prove that you had a certain number of hours working in the electrical field. You also had to have a person who already had a license sign off on your license. Before the 1990’s you could take a test and when passed, you would get your license. At that time a license was not required by law. I was one of the people who were granted a Journeyman license without testing. Through testing I have upgraded to a Masters License.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I just want to know who this guy is because there is ZERO way he is an electrician, regardless of what paper he is hiding behind. I just want to know how it happened. Using a false name comes to mind!
What has been happening around here is that wannabes and scammers are looking on ads in phone books and on-line for LICENSED electricians that put their license number on the ad. They copy that license number and put it on their own ads / documents, then incentivize the customer to NOT get a permit (because the license would be checked). Yes, totally fraudulent, but after a job is done they "disappear" by just tossing the burner cell phone and making up a new name, sometimes with the SAME fraudulent license number! A guy I know has had one scammer use his license at least a half dozen times that he knows of, based on the angry calls he gets from people he has not done anything for.

Here in Calif., the Contractors State Licensing Board has been putting out PSAs trying to get contractors to take their license numbers off of ads and say "available on request", then also for users to check license numbers with the CSLB data base, verifying it with the name of the license holder (via a driver's license). But there are so many different ways for scammers to advertise on-line that they get away with it.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
What has been happening around here is that wannabes and scammers are looking on ads in phone books and on-line for LICENSED electricians that put their license number on the ad. They copy that license number and put it on their own ads / documents, then incentivize the customer to NOT get a permit (because the license would be checked). Yes, totally fraudulent, but after a job is done they "disappear" by just tossing the burner cell phone and making up a new name, sometimes with the SAME fraudulent license number! A guy I know has had one scammer use his license at least a half dozen times that he knows of, based on the angry calls he gets from people he has not done anything for.

Here in Calif., the Contractors State Licensing Board has been putting out PSAs trying to get contractors to take their license numbers off of ads and say "available on request", then also for users to check license numbers with the CSLB data base, verifying it with the name of the license holder (via a driver's license). But there are so many different ways for scammers to advertise on-line that they get away with it.
In NJ, licensed electrical contractors are required to put their license number on their commercial vehicles. All a scammer needs is a good pair of eyes.

kwired

Electron manager
As I understand, the homeowner on this one hired for a turnkey project. This is not a homeowner project gone sideways. Now, I will say, I've not been there or met with anyone. I just found the pics astounding! This is basic residential work!

But I do hear that whole "I did the work, just need you to look over it" thing....lol I did not gather this was anything like. Homeowner is pi**ed he has to get involved. Just wanted a job done and it appears to be not safe. To make it worse, there is no main breaker on the sub2 panel so that #10 wire can be easily overloaded. Nothing to protect it!

I just want to know who this guy is because there is ZERO way he is an electrician, regardless of what paper he is hiding behind. I just want to know how it happened. Using a false name comes to mind!
Thread title says how would you handle this.

First thing is point out what you see wrong and give that information to owner. Let him decide how to proceed. If he wants to go after whoever installed it fine. If he wants to hire someone to correct it he needs to realize most aren't doing it for nothing if they had no involvement in the original work.

If permits should have been filed and were not, well maybe whoever fixes it does this, and if anything that gets the AHJ involved and you can give them any information available about the original installer.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
This goes way beyond having a bad day, this guy obviously doesn't know what he's doing. Apparently he is 50s, and per the name, I guess the HO checked online and verified this certain name does have a license.
What kinda license? How is the company incorporated?
Did he google company/ check the main address or call the phone number?
The HO has not paid anything yet and had the guy out to discuss his work...
Should be pretty easy to ask the guy to prove who he is and check his license in person.

Take it further, I guess the HO reached out to the inspector
Was it an electrical inspector?
and they don't permit or inspect anything other than the home, so I guess wild west area.
Still the liability insurance of the licensed electrical contractor would cover the work.
HO asked about having NM underground and inspector said no problem.
Really? Something seems off here, no electrical inspector would say that.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
the liability insurance of the licensed electrical contractor would cover the work.
Does general liability cover you for lawsuits over this sort of thing?
My policy is for "property damage" and "bodily injury".
I have a specific exclusion for defects of work and product recall/replacement.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Does general liability cover you for lawsuits over this sort of thing?
My policy is for "property damage" and "bodily injury".
I have a specific exclusion for defects of work and product recall/replacement.
There are two possible scenarios here;
A) The homeowner got scammed by someone impersonating a licensed contractor.
This I think would be a burden on the home owner having to prove they have done normal due diligence to verify the contractor was legit, and if they did then I would think homeowners insurance would cover that.

or

B) The electrical contractor is who he say he is and is in fact licensed & insured as a electrical contractor.
or even if the guy is a licensed contractor like a general handyman I would think if his activities as a licensed contractor caused damage his insurance would cover it, either way he is liable for any damages he caused , see W. Va. Code R. § 28-3-4(d).

It should take about a 2 second phone call to figure out if its A or B and proceed to file a claim.

Last edited:

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
There are two possible scenarios here;
You forgot helpers doing the work, while the license is in the bar.

Laborers lawfully doing the electrical for their general contractor, or RMO, too busy with paperwork.

Without permits and inspections, nobody knows the difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
You forgot helpers doing the work, while the license is in the bar.

Laborers lawfully doing the electrical for their general contractor, or RMO, too busy with paperwork.

Without permits and inspections, nobody knows the difference.
That would still fall under (B) becasue the contractor lawfully took the job under his name, license and business insurance.

NoahsArc

Occupation
Residential EC
file a claim.
My insurance would not cover it by my reading of my own policy.
Not sure about the homeowner's policy atm. I personally would not want to file a claim against my own homeowner's insurance for anything less than a major loss. Premium increases are justified by any old damn thing. You pay it back twofold.

You can always take someone to court regardless, small claims or this board deal in WV, and if he breached contract, that's all there is to it.
Now whether the court in Bumbletwee Appalachia is going to care, who knows.