how would you handle this..

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarchris

plus, the HO needs to have it explained that he might know how to hook this up "right" without the lockout...but what happens when he's out of town and his wife has to get the neighbor to hook the generator for her, or some other situation like that...... "It can't be that hard, just plug that into that and crank the big thing up....I've seen my husband do it a thousand times."

mtfallsmikey

I'm looking at doing one for an old customer of mine....has a 200A Square D breaker mounted on a pole beneath the meter outside...who makes a good outside-rated transfer switch?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I am sure all the mfgs of electrical equip make one. Just find the one that fits your price range, and is acceptible to your AHJ for your installation requirements. Sometimes the POCO has something to say about what they allow on their poles.

My cost.
$290 unfused 1ph 240v to $1850 for 600V 3ph fused. Solid neutrals.

Joethecrow

What if the homeowner dies of a heart attack cause the price of potatoes and steak these days, and his wife sells the home. He might "remember" the disconnect, but the next homeowner might not! Do it right or not at all.

DHkorn

Run don't walk

Run don't walk

Run don't walk away from that goofball.

First time I bid a residential generator was in 1999. And that year I bid about 20 jobs, and got about five.
Everyone at the jobs I lost all had got screaming low prices, people shortcutting the transfer switch.
A couple years later the fire chief told me he couldn't even count how many fires he had from homeowners and side jobbers cutting corners on backup generators.
Do it right, you'll sleep better.

Status
Not open for further replies.