how would you wire an inverter to your van?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I am interested in installing a 1500 watt inverter on my 07 sprinter but not to sure what would be the best way. SJ cord ? seal tight ? any suggestions? I would like to mount the inverter behind my seat and and outlet in the back off the inverter. thank you

StreamlineGT

I think using SJ on the load side is fine, and that is some serious input cable. Looks like a #4 feeder. I would use welding cable or audio cable to feed it. The finer the strands, the better it will hold up. Stay away from THHN in vehicles.

mdshunk

I have receptacles on the exterior of most of my vehicles, so they were wired in Sealtight since some of it is wired under the body. If I was to use SJ cord inside the vehicle, I'd want to use SJT since it lasts much, much longer in temperature extremes.

wireguru

If you are putting it all the way behind the seat, voltage drop is going to be a problem. #4 is only going to get you 5' or so before voltage drop becomes a problem (12v@125amps).....

mdshunk

Not sure what size alternator those Sprinters come with from stock, but you might want to look into that. You'd be buying a new alternator pretty soon if it can't deliver what you're pulling from the inverter. I know they've built Sprinters into ambulances and such, so I'm sure a pretty hot alternator is available for them if yours doesn't have one.

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
outside? thats brilliant how would you mount and outlet on a van exterior?
I did so by using a weatherproof red dot cover on the outside of the body panel, bolted straight through to a red dot box on the inside of the body panel. There was a hole cut in the body panel to accommodate the receptacle face. On the one bucket truck, I used a Hoffman box on the back of the one tool bin, since I was putting a variety of different receptacles in it.

StreamlineGT

tonyou812 said:
outside? thats brilliant how would you mount and outlet on a van exterior?

Old work it with a DVBR1C....... :D :D

DBVR1C-product-new.jpg

tonyou812

what size inverter would you recomend. I have a 6 cyl diesel motor. im not sure how many amps my alternator makes. but what size would you say is practicle?

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
what size inverter would you recomend. I have a 6 cyl diesel motor. im not sure how many amps my alternator makes. but what size would you say is practicle?
I don't know. How big of a service is practical for a house?

Seriously, what do you intend to run off it? You can put in a 3000 watt inverter if you want to, no problem. You need to check your alternator size no matter what size inverter you put in. That's step #1.

edit.... best I can look up for '07, you van has a 90 amp alternator if it doesn't have rear a/c, 150 amp if it has rear a/c, and 200 amp if you specially ordered it that way. http://www.who-sells-it.com/images/catalogs/2103/pdf_9941.pdf

Last edited:

jrannis

tonyou812 said:
thanks for your help. i appreciate it

I have a 1500 watt inverter. I used the #4 cables that came with it and mounted it in the exterior compartment next to the second battery (6.0 diesel engine).
I havent been able to overload it yet. I can run my greenlee tugger off of it with no problem.
The truck can idle for six hours and not move the fuel guage needle.

If you have the room, install a second battery or at least one of those big capacitors the kids use for their thumpity-thump sound systems.

I would not go through the hassle of installing anything smaller than a 1500watt unit.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
jrannis said:
I would not go through the hassle of installing anything smaller than a 1500watt unit.
I'd have to look, but I think I have a little 300W one from my van, might even be smaller. Pretty much, all I use it for (and it's still handy) is recharging batteries when I am away from a regular source of power, or need the heater to keep the battery warm for charging.

When I changed jobs and started driving my personal car, I removed the ashtray and slid that little guy in it's place, it pretty much looks like it belongs, and only took a few minutes to add a 12VDC outlet behind the radio to power it. If it dies, I slide it out, unplug it, and slide another one in.

I think it just depends on the needs of the user. :)

GilbeSpark

StreamlineGT said:
I think using SJ on the load side is fine, and that is some serious input cable. Looks like a #4 feeder. I would use welding cable or audio cable to feed it. The finer the strands, the better it will hold up. Stay away from THHN in vehicles.

You're talking about a standard power inverter you can get at a normal store, right?
On the 1500w inverters I've seen they required you to clip directly to the battery to use the full 1500w....well those clamps are connected to the cord that the inverter comes with so just size your wire to what's already supplied with the inverter. Make it bigger if you plan on upgrading later on.

Last edited:

mdshunk

GilbeSpark said:
You're talking about a standard power inverter you can get at a normal store, right?
There wouldn't be a 125a load on the cable going to the inverter.
1500 divided by 12 is 125 amps on my calculator.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's easy to remember that, for each amp at 120v you supply, the inverter requires 10a at 12v. This assumes they're 100% efficient, which they aren't of course, but today's inverters typically run in the mid to high 90's.

I have a 2500w cont. inverter that came with a pair of 18"-long, very stiff wires with strong parrot clamps well attached. I've only clamped it to the battery so far. Guess what size the wires are. (Hint: They're not undersized.)

4/0, baby!

jrannis

georgestolz said:
I'd have to look, but I think I have a little 300W one from my van, might even be smaller. Pretty much, all I use it for (and it's still handy) is recharging batteries when I am away from a regular source of power, or need the heater to keep the battery warm for charging.

When I changed jobs and started driving my personal car, I removed the ashtray and slid that little guy in it's place, it pretty much looks like it belongs, and only took a few minutes to add a 12VDC outlet behind the radio to power it. If it dies, I slide it out, unplug it, and slide another one in.

I think it just depends on the needs of the user. :)
I have a small plugin unit for my cab for stuff. I wouldnt want to be without that one either

Status
Not open for further replies.