How's Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Yes Rewire, you are correct. I've seen lots of people come and go. Those who stick it out usually seem to do ok in the long run. I try to keep that in mind but it's hard to get any work. I've quoted jobs as low as I could, sometimes barely above break even and still someone will do it cheaper. We have lots of jacks of all trades around here, you probably do too. They are unlicensed, uninsured, will work for beer money sometimes. That's hard to compete against, until their work comes undone. My few regular customers so far have stuck with me, as they like my quality of work. I will not do slop. But it's getting hard to feed the kids. Business is slowest I've seen in a long time.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Update

Update

Since last post, I've had some work but not much. I had done a few kitchen remodels for a firm in this region. That was a mistake. I started 7 jobs for them, then told them no more. I just this week finished them out. Flat rate pay shafted me nearly every time. Was twice in a week told jobs were ready for trimout that weren't ready. Nothing but a disorganized mess. I've gotten a couple of OK jobs the past week or 2, hope things are looking up. Also sending out resumes to the few large firms hiring. Got to feed the family whether my business survives or not.

Re our earlier thoughts of those who stick it out; I've always seen electricians come and go, but different in past from this time. In past, it wasn't lack of work that drove them out of business. They started in thinking big $, being own boss, etc. They went at it and then realized the amt of work involved in being the boss & having no one you can call, etc. Also having to carefully budget out $ and do recordkeeping, etc. This time around, it is largely the lack of work.

satcom

Since last post, I've had some work but not much. I had done a few kitchen remodels for a firm in this region. That was a mistake. I started 7 jobs for them, then told them no more. I just this week finished them out. Flat rate pay shafted me nearly every time. Was twice in a week told jobs were ready for trimout that weren't ready. Nothing but a disorganized mess.

Flat rate only works if you understand how to quote it, "Was twice in a week told jobs were ready for trimout that weren't ready." that is easy they had a delay, and your flat rate does not change, but the bill for fhe delay will change, we let then know up front any loss due to a delay on the scheduled work will be billed at X RATE

Status
Not open for further replies.