HP For Boiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have a temp boiler that needs power. Says 250HP but not sure that HP( where I need to convert to amps) pertains to the actually power we will need for it. True?

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 1

cpickett

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Most likely you'll need a model # or datasheet that will tell you what you need to feed it. The burner fan, circ pump, and controls will be electric, but the heat will come from gas, and that's what the HP rating refers to.

kwired

Electron manager
I agree with the others that 250 HP rating is most likely the unit output rating, your elecrical input is likely well below that, you need to know model number and find electrical specs on it. Aux equipment such as a feed pump may or may not be included in those specs so pay attention to those details as well.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I'm with the rest of the gang on this. I was a Facility Manager for a while, and that rating is about heat generated, not what's required to run it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
“Boiler HP” is a boiler’s ability to produce steam, which when fed to a steam engine would produce 1HP of mechanical energy. It’s unrelated to electrical motor HP.

One Boiler Horsepower (1BHP) is equal to a bolier thermal output of 33 475 BTU/h (British Thermal Units per Hour) or 9.81055407 kW (Kilowatts).
The kW here would be heating kW.

Besoeker

“Boiler HP” is a boiler’s ability to produce steam, which when fed to a steam engine would produce 1HP of mechanical energy. It’s unrelated to electrical motor HP.

The kW here would be heating kW.
That conversion would make the output 2250kW
Somehow.........

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Have a temp boiler that needs power. Says 250HP but not sure that HP( where I need to convert to amps) pertains to the actually power we will need for it. True?

Adding to the others' posts:
That is a pretty healthy temporary boiler.

Here are some numbers from an eng tool box:
That translates to - I wouldn't rely on any of them for sizing wire. But it should give you an idea of what you are dealing with. As said, you really need the data sheet.​

For an oil fired, 150 lb/in^2, 250 boiler HP, 80% eff
burner 75 gph fuel - 1.5 hp
feed pump 30 gpm - 5 hp
blower - 10 hp

Dimensions
20'L x 11'H x 9'W
25k lbs

Be interesting to see how the data sheet compares.

the worm

Status
Not open for further replies.