HPS to LED wall pack

Status
Not open for further replies.

spark master

We are changing out some HPS wall packs, to LED wall packs. What color is the best to go with ? This project needs to be similar to HPS, as we are not changing every fixture.

The building has bollards, soffit lighting, and wall packs all HPS. Therefore, when we do the wall packs, we need to stay with something as close as possible to the standard HPS color. But we need equal to 400watts HPS, and the lumens seem to change with the CRI of LED.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
We are changing out some HPS wall packs, to LED wall packs. What color is the best to go with ?
Something that looks better than that weird, yellow light that HPS give off.
This project needs to be similar to HPS, as we are not changing every fixture..
Why? Are you working on a low budget si-fi movie set?

In case you didn't notice I hate HPS lights. I can't see any good reason to preserve them or the look of them.

spark master

Something that looks better than that weird, yellow light that HPS give off.
Why? Are you working on a low budget si-fi movie set?
In case you didn't notice I hate HPS lights. I can't see any good reason to preserve them or the look of them.

Because, the bollards & soffit lighting work fine, and are not being changed out. Only the wall packs. So we need a similar color to HPS !!

arcsnsparks98

I believe you will have a good bit of difficulty accomplishing this. You are looking at apples and oranges. Without going into a full on discertation, LED wall packs are not designed to mimic HPS lamps. The portion of the visible light spectrum which they illumate is different than LED which more closely compares to metal halide. Do some reading on the relationship between photopic lumens, scotopic lumens and CRI. Even if you drop down to an LED that is in the 2500K range with a CRI in the 70's, its still gonna look funny. Or rather the remaining HPS lights will appear worse than what they are since the eye has a photopic reference to compare them to.

spark master

The building is a tan / brownish color building. Beige Color brick. With a stone beige cinder block inserts. That is why the HPS looks so nice with this building. It just flows together, and the property manager is very knowledgeable, and appearance is very important to the owner.

Low technology

Low technology

There are places that make filters for LEDs to match any of a wide range of things. There might be something that passes only the (narrow) wavelength range of a high pressure sodium lamp. If there's nothing of the kind in the lighting world there might be something from a science lab supplier.

kwired

Electron manager
The building is a tan / brownish color building. Beige Color brick. With a stone beige cinder block inserts. That is why the HPS looks so nice with this building. It just flows together, and the property manager is very knowledgeable, and appearance is very important to the owner.
I can see things not being all that great looking when you have a mix of light sources, but still have a hard time with the HPS being better looking then the LED light if there is no HPS with the LED. LED will bring things much closer to their true colors then the HPS ever will.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The cooler colors on LED (5500 K) are the most efficient, but 5500 K will be too blue for most applications, and 3500 K seems about right. Perhaps in 20 years you will no longer be able to purchase a HPS ballast, same as it is now with MV. No manufacture is doing any R&D for HPS, its a dead market, but they are still selling product.
For an interesting alternative, google plasma lighting....

CT Tom

I would suggest getting either your supplier involved or talk to a lighting designer or rep firm. If you start the design process and all of a sudden the owner doesn't like what they see, you could be on the hook for some big dollars.

That is how I do it anyways,

hbendillo

Your at not going to match exactly. There will be a noticeable difference. Although a HPS fixture will have less color shift over the life of the fixture than an metal halide fixture, lamps of different ages and from different manufacturers may vary slightly. Just tell the owner what to expect and decide on a color temperature for the LED's. The average HPS lamp is not likely going to have a color temperature above 2700 degrees and can be significantly less depending on the lamp you use. I am finding it difficult among the major manufacturers of LED light fixtures to find a fixture below the 3000-3500 degree color temperature range. But you can find 2700 degree color temperature to LEDs which would be the closest you get to HPS.

mirawho

Here is the deal. A color corrected HPS is around 2300K and that number is hard to match with LED's. 3200K is about the lowest you will find an LED in. If you are using a standard HPS, you will not match it. You are using a lamp that becomes monochromatic yellow as the sodium vaporizes, akin to putting a yellow/orange gel on a lamp. And one more thing when it comes to LED's. You have to make sure you check the CRI. As the CRI gets 80<% or less, you are going to have a lot of green hue that you didn't have with the HPS. You could get dichroic lenses to match the HPS but at a significant cost and loss of light.

Status
Not open for further replies.