hubbell home select

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireguru

Are any of you using hubbell home select? I got ahold of a few of their devices and they seem pretty flimsy. I wanted to see if anyone here is using them in the field, and if so if i could get some feedback on their performance.

mdshunk

I think the devices are fine, but the plates are junk, in my opinion. One of my supply houses is phasing out Trademaster and bringing in HomeSelect. I'm sorry to learn that.

mdshunk

jimport said:
Could someone please elaborate about the plates? I am sitting here looking at the plates that came in the sample kit and don't see the problems
They're flimsy, and often don't lay flat on the wall, right out of the box. I have reservations about how much worse they might or might not get riding on the truck in the summer. I also don't like the fact that the plastic wrapper they come in is hard to open.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
usually any residential grade product is crappy in my opinion.
Sorry you feel that way. If you normally work with solid branch circuit conductors, you should treat yourself to a box of P&S Trademaster devices.

peter d

electricalperson said:
usually any residential grade product is crappy in my opinion.

Well, go ahead and install CR20's or 5262's in tract homes, and then let me know how that works out for you. ;)

electricalperson

peter d said:
Well, go ahead and install CR20's or 5262's in tract homes, and then let me know how that works out for you. ;)
i never said i wont install residential grade, i just think the quality is not that great of most products. i would rather install a quality P&S device then some cheap eagle device. but if all im wiring is spec houses then they get the cheapo devices, but if im wiring a million dollar house then i feel they should get quality devices

peter d

electricalperson said:
but if im wiring a million dollar house then i feel they should get quality devices

Why does the fact that it's a million dollar home require better quality devices? :confused: It's still a house after all. I'd use better stuff in the kitchen, but that's it.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
... but if im wiring a million dollar house then i feel they should get quality devices
Doesn't take much of a house in many markets to command a million bucks. Fact is, regardless of how much your home costs, you will still use your receptacles and switches in much the same manner that even the least among us do. If the home is wired in pipe, it might be worth a better device just to get the side-wired feature that would be better for stranded conductors.

electricalperson

peter d said:
Why does the fact that it's a million dollar home require better quality devices? :confused: It's still a house after all. I'd use better stuff in the kitchen, but that's it.
its just my opinion. if someone spends 30,000 dollars or so for someone to wire there house all custom then i feel they should get a decent device that doesnt feel like a toy when you flip a switch or have a receptacle that lets the cords fall out after a few months of use. just a personal preference nothing more. i understand the price difference between the grades but a homeowner that spends a ton of money on a brand new house deserves something better than a 50 cent receptacle:smile:

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
...but a homeowner that spends a ton of money on a brand new house deserves something better than a 50 cent receptacle:smile:
I agree! That's why I use one's that cost 83 cents, I think.

mdshunk

electricalperson said:
but if all im doing is wiring cookie cutter houses then they get the home depot special :grin:
I agree. Give them what they're paying for. Not everyone drives a Cadillac. Many people just drive a Chevy. There are lots of broke electricians still bragging about how they always did it the finest way, and made an art project out of every job. Do the Cadillac job for the folks who want or need a Cadillac install. Do the Chevrolet job for those who only want or who can only afford the Chevy job.

Status
Not open for further replies.