Hy-Pot PPE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumpshort

Can anyone tell me where to look for recommendations on Personal Protective Equipment while performing a high potential test? The IEEE 510 standard "Recommended Practices for Safety in High-Voltage and High-Power Testing" looks like it was withdrawn back in 1992. I know that Arc Flash PPE would not be needed but shock protection would be. What I'm really interested in is whether or not you would need a Class 2 insulated glove while performing a test at 25 kV or if a Class 0 glove is sufficient.

zog

Can anyone tell me where to look for recommendations on Personal Protective Equipment while performing a high potential test? The IEEE 510 standard "Recommended Practices for Safety in High-Voltage and High-Power Testing" looks like it was withdrawn back in 1992. I know that Arc Flash PPE would not be needed but shock protection would be. What I'm really interested in is whether or not you would need a Class 2 insulated glove while performing a test at 25 kV or if a Class 0 glove is sufficient.

I asked the (At the time) head OSHA guy for S and R this question a few years back. They say you are required to use the same PPE as if working on live parts at that voltage. So your gloves need to be rated for whatever your test voltage is.

jumpshort

I asked the (At the time) head OSHA guy for S and R this question a few years back. They say you are required to use the same PPE as if working on live parts at that voltage. So your gloves need to be rated for whatever your test voltage is.

That makes sense. Unfortunatley we often test at 55kV and Class 4 gloves are only rated up to 54kV.

Status
Not open for further replies.