Hybrid cars and magnetic fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

karl riley

After my last post I received an email referencing a new report which contains all the unbiased info one could want about the health effects of power frequency magnetic fields. I have met many of these scientists and trust their knowledge and objectivity. Go to www.bioinitiative.org and download the Report.

Karl

Mr. Bill

Very interesting link. Lots to read thru. Their summary is 45 pages! Now they say that 4mG of ELF (extremely low frequency, 60 Hz) shows a correlation to an increased chance of childhood leukemia. Because of this they recommend a limit of 1mG in all buildings and areas frequented by children and pregnant women and then 2mG in all other buildings.

But they also recommended a limit of 0.1 μW/cm2 for RF (radio frequency) exposure. And they kinda blended this in with the ELF effects. They're a lot more vague about these health problems. "These effects can reasonably be presumed to result in adverse health effects and disease with chronic and uncontrolled exposures, and children may be particularly vulnerable." Do they have any specifics on health affects of RF exposure?

dalesql

karl riley said:
The prius evidently produces both AC and DC. I have been asked to do a thorough measurement of whatever fields are present but so far have not had a Prius available. Will let you all know when/if I do.

Karl

there are a quite active group of Prius enthusiasts around, and I'm sure you could find one local to you willing to work with you on doing these mesurements. They all seem to have websites.

A friend of mine in the Boston area is an enthusiastic Prius owner, and is well familiar with scientific methods, who could probably be persuaded into letting you make use of his Prius. He has already added in a lot of instrumentation to it so he could better understand how the subsystems work apart and together. I'll leave negotiating a suitable compensation to you.

He has, in fact, used it to run the sump pumps in a mutual friends home via a bigish computer UPS this past spring, after extensive rainstorms left the power out and water seeping in.

karl riley

I am in the Wilmington NC area now. Would be glad to take measurements if someone has a Prius. No fee required.

Karl

ghostbuster

Solar car magnetic field testing

Solar car magnetic field testing

Our group just finished performing magnetic field tests on this solar car.
MVC-006S.jpg

This solar car will spend the next 7 weeks on the road.

Driver compartment magnetic fields are greater then 200 milligauss.

Magnetic field design modifications are now underway.(note: the top compartment has been raised to gain access to the wiring)

Note:Earlier testing of the hybrid cars produced similar results

Last edited:

karl riley

Since milligauss applies to both AC and DC magnetic fields, with very divergent health consequences, one needs to specify AC or DC. Also, what frequencies, and what kind of wave forms?

Karl

ghostbuster

karl riley said:
Since milligauss applies to both AC and DC magnetic fields, with very divergent health consequences, one needs to specify AC or DC. Also, what frequencies, and what kind of wave forms?

Karl

Karl

All this detailed data is contained in our client's report.

Note:the solar car had a pure d.c. magnetic field during steady state motor loading conditions,only.The primary contributor were the 4 series connected
lithium ion battery cables forming a loop around the driver compartment.(refer to close up picture)

MVC-002S-1.jpg

Last edited:

robbietan

ghostbuster said:
Just to add to our original post:

Our group has been contacted by one of the top 3 U.S.newspapers .

They are planning on doing an independent in depth analysis of the hybrid cars magnetic fields and then releasing the results to the general public.

It would appear in other "magnetically sensitive" countries car options can be purchased to reduce these fields.

Clarification:

When the car accelerates and slows down ,there are transitory wildly fluctuating fields.These are not pure steady state D.C. fields.

well, just to add something 'new'

our group has been consulted by a large-ish banking institution for EMF effects on vehicles. the expat employees (meaning non Filipinos) import their vehicles and some of them have problems when approaching the gas station located inside their compound. the vehicles just stopped and refused to start until they were towed to a certain distance from the station. then, the vehicles work fine, as if nothing happenend.

have scanned the area and have found that an antennae array was the source of the EMF.

trouble is, none of the drivers want their identities or their vehicles noted, for they think they will be labeled something like 'novice drivers' by their officemates. all I gathered was a cherokee jeep was one of those 'victim vehicles.

ghostbuster

robbietan said:
some of them have problems when approaching the gas station located inside their compound. the vehicles just stopped and refused to start until they were towed to a certain distance from the station. then, the vehicles work fine, as if nothing happenend.

have scanned the area and have found that an antennae array was the source of the EMF.

I have heard via the grapevine a similar problem occurs on a Florida highway.

There are a fleet of towtrucks waiting alongside this highway to tow the vehicles 1/4 mile down the road past the transmitting tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.