I am redesigning a service and curious what option is the cheapest.

sokbok

Howdy good people.
Thanks for any input. I realize this is complicated. SO THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING>
A few key things. I made diagrams of each option (see attached)
Im trying to learn about service redesign, so this is practice. Ive been under the umbrella of a large company
and evaluating if jobs like this I can take on my own.
If you ever need diagrams made like this, I am for hire.

Current service is 208Y, fed from utility XFMR to CT cab with paralleled 500MCM AL.
CT cab is very old and I think a 400/600A model. No main disconnect currently.

Currently there are (3) 200A service disconnects and an additional non-compliant 100A disconnect double lugged off one of the 200A discos load lugs.
Anyway.....Ultimately there will be 6 disconnects, with the hope that the 100A will eventually be re-fed from a 200A load center and thus allowing solar to be one of the 6. Final 6 Disconnect breakdown = (4) 200A (1) 175A (1) 100A and eventually (4) 200A (1) 175A (1) solar ~100A
Location is in Colorado and on NEC 2020.
I designed a variety of solutions both using a new 600A main disco and without a main and using six handle rule 230.90 (A) (exp 3).
Calculated load is 520A MAX.
I will meet with utility soon to evaluate if they allow 6 handle rule.

What would be cheapest ?

Option 1 - New 600A main fused disco with CSB 350-8 multitaps in a new trough. Move CT cabinet way over to make room for (2) new 200A discos (one disco fused at 160A) and new main 600A disco.
Option 2 - New 600A main fused disco and CT cabinet moved over but not as much. 2 new discos fed underground. New conduits cross over service conduits.
New conduits buried at 18" and service conduits at 36"
Option 3 - No new main disconnect. CT cabinet stays. new trough with multi taps and feed new discos overhead (shown) or underground. This is probably the cheapest and uses 6 handle rule
Option 4 - Using New 800A CT cabinet with 6 lugs on load side. No Main Disconnect. CT cabinet expensive but this could be
fairly cheap.
Option 5 - New Square D I-Line panelboard with 600A main breaker and new breakers. This could also be Eaton Powerline 3X. Try to position new panelboard to not need to run new wire to 2 older disconnects. These panelboards and breakers are crazy expensive and this is probably by far most expensive.

Attachments

• option #1.jpg
    option #1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • Option 2.jpg
    Option 2.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Option 3.jpg
    Option 3.jpg
    727 KB · Views: 24
  • option 4.jpg
    option 4.jpg
    758.8 KB · Views: 24
  • option 5.jpg
    option 5.jpg
    737.2 KB · Views: 25

ruxton.stanislaw

Occupation
Laboratory Engineer
Would you consider a new 480 service, especially if it works for the chiller? You could bring a 208 or 240v transformer next to the laser. What is the model of the laser? You may be able to wire it with 277 and small buck boost transformers.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In my area you seldom see new services built out of individual components (Gutter, Disconnects. etc.). It would either be a panelboard or switchboard.
Did you actually have a supplier quote a factory assembled panelboard or are you just looking at online list prices? I don't mean the counter guys, you need to talk to the person responsible for ordering the equipment. I'm sure I could purchase a factory assembled panel for less that all of the parts and pieces would cost to build it.

sokbok

In my area you seldom see new services built out of individual components (Gutter, Disconnects. etc.). It would either be a panelboard or switchboard.
Did you actually have a supplier quote a factory assembled panelboard or are you just looking at online list prices? I don't mean the counter guys, you need to talk to the person responsible for ordering the equipment. I'm sure I could purchase a factory assembled panel for less that all of the parts and pieces would cost to build it.
Yeah this is my first time comparing service cost options. The price of the panelboards and breakers online just seemed outrageous. I need to setup an account with a supplier and see if that is in fact cheaper. Its certainly the cleanest way. thanks for feedback

cdslotz

Takeoff means to count, measure every piece of equipment, every foot of conduit/wire/fittings/wireways/taps....every nut and bolt.
Price that material and apply labor units to get the total material/labor hrs. Then compare. Pick that one... then calculate total material/labor dollars+direct expenses (excavating, coring, rentals, etc+ sales tax+ OH&P = Sell price
Or calculate all four scenarios and give the owner options