I AM the AHJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

apauling

Re: I AM the AHJ

without disputing code, most sheetrock screws break when over torqued. As an example: take a 6" strip of 5/8"ths nom ply and use two 1&7/8ths screws to a stud, fine or fast thread. Using just two studs, all the big boys should be able to just pop it off the wall. I've pulled tons of rock off and the screws never let loose.

Most cabinets that people stock with heavy canned goods are just hung with a few sheetrock screws, albeit somewhat longer.

And there is a code for sheetrock screw nailing, screwing and it can be found in the applicable building code for your area.

The list could go on. I prefer the Grabber pan heads for mounting stuff. I think the big problem is using the mounting screw to be the grounding attachment, which is against the NEC.

I've done a lot of old work in Victorians with wall paper, wood lathe, and a variety of long sheetrock screws were an invaluable aid to good looking installations. The clips sometimes just weren't adequate.

paul

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I found out today that the flippin' idiot who mounted the bathroom fixtures did use drywalls to ground some of them. Some of them weren't grounded at all. :D

Let this be a note to all inspectors: Try to be a little specific on corrections. "No Sheetrock Screws" read to me as "...for mounting." If he had written "No sheetrock screws for grounding bathroom fixtures" I would have immediately understood.

websparky

Inspectors that insist on something like this as a code violation do not fully understand 90.4 much less bonding and grounding. These are usually the guys that go with the flow of the majority opinions at their inspector's meetings. I sure wish they would come to forums like this to get a firm grasp of the actual code.

That said, I agree with George and the placement of his boot!

pierre

Larry posted this:

"It is my belief that this way of doing things has caused the less than knoweldgeable inspectors to flourish. "

It seems like letting a bad decision by the inspector slip by so as not to get his hair up is a mistake that helps them to florish.

I totally agree Larry!!!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

In my humble opinion, it should be a requirement that inspectors of any trade had worked in that trade in the past.

bradleyelectric

Originally posted by mdshunk:
Holy cow, George. I was under the impression that you were the boss. If you stirred all this up without letting the boss know what was going on, that's pretty serious in my book. Not to cry wolf, but I have known guys to get in some pretty serious hot water with employers doing stuff like this, whether they were right or wrong.
I had a helper back into somebody Friday with my personal vehicle that I let him drive lunch time to cash his check while I went with another helper to do a quick job for a condo comunity. He told me it was the womans fault, but he didn't notice the right side of the back of the mini van pushed in, so he didn't get her info.
I have a very good repore with inspectors in my area, but if you want to come to work for me and you occasionally piss off an inspector that would be the least of my worries.

Status
Not open for further replies.