I.B.E.W. Inside Wireman Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to All

I am inquiring as to where I might allocate a practice test for the Inside Wireman exam given by the I.B.E.W.
I have searched on-line, and my Local couldn't procure a practice test for me.
Does anyone have a link, website, or any other useful piece of information as to where I can allocate the test questions?
Any help is greatly appreciated. I only have (3) weeks before test-date.
Thank You!!

Sparky

" Electricians do it with frequency-because it hertz so good!" :thumbsup:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
This is the exam given to apprentices to become a inside wireman? Hasn't the local given you any information as to what they may ask on the test? Seems to me that this is somewhat secret information since a Google search didn't turn up anything. The owner of this forum has some excellent study materials along with some practice exams here:

http://www.mikeholt.com/examprep.php?id=examprepelectricaljourneyman

jwr570

There is not one single test that every local uses. The test is created by the examining board for the local. Some of them include a written test covering; theory, code, print reading, etc. A hands on portion including hook ups (transformers, motor control, etc.) and conduit bending.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I'm of the impression each local develops their own test. To what degree, if any, the locals share, I do not know. The one I took "several" years ago involved mostly code questions, but also had hands-on (e.g. standard hand bender deducts), diagram a motor starter control circuit, and some union "propaganda" questions.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I'm of the impression each local develops their own test. To what degree, if any, the locals share, I do not know. The one I took "several" years ago involved mostly code questions, but also had hands-on (e.g. standard hand bender deducts), diagram a motor starter control circuit, and some union "propaganda" questions.

That is correct. At my local the training director oversees the test content and changes it as needed.

The content is nearly 100 percent from the books used in the class. I have about 50 or more from my apprenticeship.

Your instructor should be prepping you for your final. I think we spent the last several weeks going over material that would be on the final exam. It is during that period you should be grilling the instructor to get you to understand some of the stuff that is tough for you. Some additional practice homework may also be prescribed.

What was your class test score average? That should be close to how you will perform on the final. My average for the 12 I/O tests was 95.2. I got 101 on the final (our test had extra credit). I also had perfect attendance.

With three weeks left, I would say go over as many tests from your classes as you can for study.

There is no cheat sheet for an IBEW final, at least none that I know of.

Good Luck!!!

There is not one single test that every local uses. The test is created by the examining board for the local. Some of them include a written test covering; theory, code, print reading, etc. A hands on portion including hook ups (transformers, motor control, etc.) and conduit bending.

JWR, Thank you, Brother. The hook up portion is exactly what I'm looking for, ie; transformers, & motor controls.

Smart, Thank You, Sir. You have shed more light on what I'm looking for. I greatly appreciate it.

That is correct. At my local the training director oversees the test content and changes it as needed.

The content is nearly 100 percent from the books used in the class. I have about 50 or more from my apprenticeship.

Your instructor should be prepping you for your final. I think we spent the last several weeks going over material that would be on the final exam. It is during that period you should be grilling the instructor to get you to understand some of the stuff that is tough for you. Some additional practice homework may also be prescribed.

What was your class test score average? That should be close to how you will perform on the final. My average for the 12 I/O tests was 95.2. I got 101 on the final (our test had extra credit). I also had perfect attendance.

With three weeks left, I would say go over as many tests from your classes as you can for study.

There is no cheat sheet for an IBEW final, at least none that I know of.

Good Luck!!!

K8MHZ, Thank you, Brother. My average is 88%. I have an Ol Tyma tutoring me on the hands-on portion, motors, transformers, start & stop stations, etc. My. Local doesn't give out practice tests whatsoever, and you are absolutely correct in reviewing my notes from class. I find it easier to study on a computer, with like-problems related to the test taking itself. I too, had researched online, but found all sites "claiming" to be able to help were in fact mal-ware, or ad-ware type sites.
I sincerely thank You all for your guidance, and input. Thank You again for the luck-I need it!!

Best Regards,
Sparky

Status
Not open for further replies.