I/E Inspector

Status
Not open for further replies.
A question has come up regarding multi-conductor cables in hazardous areas. Art. 501.10(A)(1) seems to indicate that MC-HL, iTC-HL, can be used in Class 1 Div. 1 and I assume that since it states that it is to be used with fittings listed for the application, that the cable may be used passing through a seal off without altering the cable, i.e. stripping out jacket and separating conductors before pouring sealing compound. I understand (B) (1) (1-7) in the same manner. Agree or disagree?

bobgorno

A question has come up regarding multi-conductor cables in hazardous areas. Art. 501.10(A)(1) seems to indicate that MC-HL, iTC-HL, can be used in Class 1 Div. 1 and I assume that since it states that it is to be used with fittings listed for the application, that the cable may be used passing through a seal off without altering the cable, i.e. stripping out jacket and separating conductors before pouring sealing compound. I understand (B) (1) (1-7) in the same manner. Agree or disagree?
Your connectors, when properly selected and installed provide an epoxy seal. The cable does not pass thru a seal.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
You have a slight misunderstanding. At a boundary, where installed in conduit, no "-HL" cable modification is necessary. However, at terminations, "-HL" cables are sealed under Sections 501.15(D)(1) and (2). The most common termination "... listed for the application" is a Type TMCX. Several manufactures make this type and call it as such. The installation instructions will still require "...stripping out [the] jacket and separating conductors before installing the sealing compound."

The 501.15(D)(2) Exception permits omitting removing the shielding material or separating the twisted pairs of shielded cables and twisted pair cables but the individual pairs must still be separated from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.